Thread: December 1988 issue NetGeo

Default December 1988 issue NetGeo

Do any of you hologram old timers know who did the holograms for the jacket of the December 1988 issue of NatGeo? It's mainly for my own curiosity. I picked up one of these on Ebay for a bit of nostalgia as this reminded me of 6th grade... My teacher had this issue and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Very clean hologram. Viewed with a single point light, like a single-chip LED, the globe looks like it is literally off the page. Anyway, cool holograms.

Please excuse my bad photography.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210126_230835.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	558.4 KB 
ID:	57567

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210126_230857.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	438.5 KB 
ID:	57568
    Last edited by absolom7691; 01-26-2021 at 22:25.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

The master for the front cover was made by Ken Haines for American Banknote Holographics. He used a pulsed frequency doubled YAG laser in the applications lab of Quantel International in Santa Clara at the time. The laser was operated by Ron Olson, who went on to form Positive Light Lasers (TI:Sap ... later sold to Coherent) and Positive Light Holographics (later becoming Laser Reflections, Google him or that). I did a lot of early work with Ron. The idea to shoot the falling globe failed. They had to glue the pieces to glass plates and make the hologram master in a more conventional way.

The back cover was mastered by Lasersmith in Chicago at the time. There was big contraversy at the time because of the ad on the back, and the departure from their trademarked yellow for the cover. It wrecks the look of them on a shelf. At least one higher-up was fired over the problems with that cover production.

Here's another hologram related to National Geographics I posted about four years ago. https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...ighlight=eagle

Thank you for the information. A lot to Google there! I was really curious about the pieces of the globe and how they captured it shattering. It's such great work. Holography was something I always wanted to get into but when I was first interested, the equipment for a 17 year-old was just too expensive and, living with my parents at the time left me no room for a studio.

Very cool though. Thanks for the history!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidetic View Post
    Here's another hologram related to National Geographics I posted about four years ago. https://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...ighlight=eagle
    yep I've got one of those nat geo vol 165 no 3 march 1984