Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pumping yag and YVO4 at 888nm

Quote Originally Posted by VDX View Post
    ... couldn't find a second number, so the article seems to focus only on replacement of the typically used 808nm by 888nm for pumping Nd to 1064nm output.

The 888nm have a lover absorption rate, so can penetrate deeper, what gives a longer "pumping volume" ... no mention of output wavelength change or such ...

Viktor

What I like is you don't seem to need careful temp control anymore. THAT by itself is a bonus. Still need it on the SHG side however. I am pretty sure 1064 remains. I was thinking of the SHG stage.

... could it be so easy, as replacing the 808nm diodes with 888nm ones (if they'll be available)?

I have a CW-fiberlaser (pumped with 975nm), where I've removed the broken electronics and drivers and replaced it with my own constant current drivers with simply ON/OFF and pulsing with 5µs-pulses or longer, up to CW ... the output beam was the same quality and power of 130Watts max.

So, if find a broken fiberlaser, pumped with 808nm diodes, this 888nm-replacing could be worth a try?

Have two old flash-lamp pumped Nd:YAG's -- AFAIK they are not so efficient at pure 808nm pumping (differently doted rod) -- but could it be worth to play with them?

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Yes when you pump at 888nm you still get the same lasing lines in Nd:whatever
    Watch out the absorption length can get reallly long when operating away from 808nm. The dpss laserscopes run a few nm off the 808nm peak and need a nd:yag crystal about 10cm long! They must have really liked their lamp pumped cavity design...

There was a decent supply of 120w fiber coupled nlight element e18 888nm diodes that were floating around the bay area recycling circles. I have been using mine for laser power beaming experiments, I was able to get better than 30% efficiency optical->electrical using commercal sunpower e20 cells