Thread: Argon curing laser

Default Argon curing laser

Hi all,been awhile posting for sure. Picking up a LaserMed "CureStar" dental curing laser tonight. P/N 2-020-007-00A and from what I find is 300mw of 488.
    Anybody come across one of these? Info to share? I have a couple Uniphase argons,not sure why I'm blowing 250.00 on another one.
    C'MON MAAN! We know why,'cuz it's purdy. And portable. And I don't have to hijack my a.c. to plug it in,120volt!

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I used to have three of them. Laserphysics Reliant sealed mirror tubes and the OEM reliant PSUs. Tubes have "reduced green" optics that support blue and violet, but a touch of green pops in at high currents if the tube is healthy. Let the fan cooldown cycle run, it greatly prolongs the life of the tube.
    ~
    ~ The Dentists run them hard, and every one of mine needed ground dental dust cleaned out of the fins. Expect to have to clean the OC. I have one or two of the tubes left, I think. Fairly easy to bypass the Curestar controller, but you don't need or want to.
    ~
    Around 150 mW and extremely multimode, is a more realistic expectation after you remove the pesky fiber bundle and annoying fiber interlock. Watch your eyes, and with the lid off, watch out for the HV DC all over the place.
    ~
    ~ If things are good you will see "Giggity" amounts of violet and deep blue, as well as 488. Enjoy!

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-01-2021 at 07:32.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

i've got one! picked it up on ebay for 50$. It was basically brand new with about 20 hours on the clock. I spent a couple hours de-medicalizing it and it's a great little laser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lasermed-blue.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	278.4 KB 
ID:	57608

Quote Originally Posted by HD58PHD View Post
    Hi all,been awhile posting for sure. Picking up a LaserMed "CureStar" dental curing laser tonight. P/N 2-020-007-00A and from what I find is 300mw of 488.
    Anybody come across one of these? Info to share? I have a couple Uniphase argons,not sure why I'm blowing 250.00 on another one.
    C'MON MAAN! We know why,'cuz it's purdy. And portable. And I don't have to hijack my a.c. to plug it in,120volt!
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Thank you Sirs,I got it home and Steve is correct,dental and dust bunnies a plenty. Much simpler than the others I have. Didn't come with fiber coupler,justa foot switch and keys. So these do not idle? It is instant on to whatever I have it set to. Is there a duty cycle? Seems like it wasn't intended to run for long. I don't want to burn it up. Should I assume it will shut down before it frys?
    Thanks guys
    Mike

It Doesn't have three power level touch switches on the front panel? Does / Does Not have a shutter solenoid Does the tube does / does not idle and then pop up to power ?

On mine it had a idle setting and popped up to power selected on the panel with the footswitch...

Looks like this picture?

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lares-Research-CureStar-Tabletop-Argon-Curing-Dental-Laser.jpg  

Last edited by mixedgas; 02-02-2021 at 10:40.

Yes it looks identical. 2 buttons on front for menu/power adjustment,haven't pulled cover to look for shutter. Will check for shutter when I get back from commie,, err,California next week.
    Thanks

Be careful out there in Kali... , Definitely a People's Republic some times. Almost as bad as the overly restrictive Taxashusetts...
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-03-2021 at 09:48.

I has two thermal sensors, and a power off cooling mode. If you switch it off from the front, the fan should stay running as long as needed and then turn off.
    At least that is what the firmware on mine did. As for cooling, I would call it a fun little 50-100 mW CW laser with the installed factory fan. One that can go into burst mode for high power when you need it.

They are fun, and well built. If you think it has a bit of cost consciousness in the case design, you are correct. They wanted to corner the market on Argon based curing, and one of the ways around that is to ditch the dreaded huge housings that were an FDA requirement in the old days. That reduces the cost.

Steve

Amazing a little led replaced it.

True, replaced by the diode. 100x output at 1000th the size. And price. But watching the meter spin like a turbo,,,
    Sooo,next to the wand holder is a power meter for checking/verifying output,so I was told. Going to play with that when I get the cover off.