Thread: Any old Gear? Need some help...

Default Any old Gear? Need some help...

Hey, guys...This is my first post here. I was referred here by one of your members "wes".

I am an electrical engineer, and I have been working on control systems for about 5 years. I have spent the last year developing a new laser controller that I think will help take a lot of burden off of developers, and let them focus more on the actual images than setup/tear down.

Unfortunately, I am not a big company with huge financial backing...I have used my finances and 'hobby time' for the development of the first revision of my system, and I have made some changes to make things much more beneficial.

I am sort of at my end, financially, however...I have a control setup that I feel will be a huge benefit to you, but I don't have any galvo's or an amp to verify that everything is functioning.

I know this is an odd, and probably silly question...But I was wondering if there was anybody who has some Galvos or Amps that they have grown out of or put aside.

I am not looking for gear so that I can compete with you or build my own system. Again, I am an EE and I don't really have interest in running shows...but I want to take your laser control systems to a whole new level.

Please let me know if you could help me out. I am a very credible person, and I want to finish developing something that will make your audiences jaws drop...and cut your setup time to a fraction of what it is now.

Thanks
    Shaun

Would this be a software based system for operation by PC, or a dedicated standalone desk?

It would be software driven. The application currently runs on a Windows-based PC.
    Last edited by Steel; 08-27-2007 at 12:27.

Hi Shaun;

Welcome to PhotonLexicon. Glad to have you here. I'm a bit confused about your project though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel
    I have spent the last year developing a new laser controller that I think will help take a lot of burden off of developers, and let them focus more on the actual images than setup/tear down.
    What, exactly, do you mean by the "setup/tear down" process. This really isn't a function of the controller or the software that we use. It's more a fuction of the venue itself and the lasers that are used in the projector. The controller and software are normally contained inside a PC, or at worst the controller is in a small external enclosure that connects to the PC. The hard part of setup and tear down is dealing with heavy, water-cooled lasers, scaffolding, and mirrors on heavy metal mounts...

Are you perhaps referring about the show creation process itself? I can see how software could make that process easier, though you've got some *really* tough competition in that market.

I'd be interested in more details of your project though. Can you tell us more about the software? Maybe some of the features?

Adam