Thread: Happy International Laserist's Day!

Default Happy International Laserist's Day!

Today, March 7th, is International Laserist's Day, and not-so-coincidentally, also Ivan Dryer's birthday. I just wanted to take this moment to celebrate Ivan's life, and consider how lucky I was to have worked with a kind, thoughtful, and visionary artist who brought light into my life. We miss you, Ivan.

I'll share a photo of Ivan and myself standing behind the very laser console I used for 20 years at Morrison Planetarium in San Francisco. This was many years after Laserium closed there, but I was able to identify my console in the warehouse by a few unique knobs I had added.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ivan_Ron_6bconsole.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	57698

Ron

I'm guessing there were two sticks on there at one time? X & Y

Yes, the Mark VI had two joysticks. Typically one for rotation and one for motion.

I've been playing with this design lately. It has spring loaded friction clutches to hold it where ever you leave it. I'm still playing with the design. I haven't decided weather to counter weight the x&y axes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210307_132507.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	57699
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso