Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cambridge Scanners on "Clearance"

Default Cambridge Scanners on "Clearance"

See about the middle of the page below...

https://www.edmundoptics.com/c/laser-mechanics/983/

It seems like Edmund Optics is adopting a different line of galvos and is selling off the rest of their Cambridge inventory
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    See about the middle of the page below...

https://www.edmundoptics.com/c/laser-mechanics/983/

It seems like Edmund Optics is adopting a different line of galvos and is selling off the rest of their Cambridge inventory
    Too bad for Cambridge.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

I heard they discontinued the Pro Series a while ago. Actually everything with the analog amps. I picked up 4 NOS PS2-14 units with beryllium mirrors for <1k each. Maybe I'll actually do something with them one of these days.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Yes, they are "End of Life-ing" lots of products

https://camtechfiles.s3-us-west-2.am...ary%202021.pdf

Sounds like a good deal on the Pro model! Those mirrors themselves are probably <1k each!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Ouch! I read the list. Is Scannermax going to pick up the tooling for any of these ?

Steve

Some of those designs date back to the beginning of time. A ton are old General Scanning parts. (I loved the G-124's too, but I'm guessing that nobody has purchased non-feedback scanners in a while.) I'd bet most of the list haven't covered carring costs this millennium.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Some of those designs date back to the beginning of time. A ton are old General Scanning parts. (I loved the G-124's too, but I'm guessing that nobody has purchased non-feedback scanners in a while.) I'd bet most of the list haven't covered carring costs this millennium.

honestly with saturns and dsp Mach amps they don’t offer anything and are way over priced. I’m surprised it took this long.

We don't plan to pick up any of the tooling, and I doubt it would ever be offered regardless.

It IS surprising how many customers still depend on the legacy GSI products. Since they initially began discontinuing these products summer of 2020, we have had multiple inquiries of using our scanners / actuators as replacements for GSI open loop devices. I'm bound by all sorts of NDA, but people here would be surprised by some of these very large, internationally recognized laser companies who still use these GSI products in their current deliverables and suddenly had no easy option. We are working with several to retrofit our designs into their existing products with as little pain as possible...

The amount of inquiries was enough that we published an article regarding using ScannerMAX products as replacements for GSI devices...

https://scannermax.com/blogs/news/scannermax-compact-506-replaces-general-scanning-g-series-scanners
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

There is something to be said for a small, reasonably fast scanner that I can float at 22kV in an Electrostatics Lab and drive with a over insulated audio transformer or solar cells.
    ~
    I have used open loop for many interesting things over the years. Flicking syringe needles in a lab back and forth to deposit material evenly. Measuring fiber diameters.
    Evenly heating materials with a laser, and applying a known force to samples. An undergraduate robotics project that did its range finding by overlaying spots of 532 nm light. A demo of damping by back EMF feedback was another cool use.
    ~
    While I can float an RC servo, the smooth motion and fairly high resolution of a 120 or 124 running open loop, hooked to a simple signal generator and a simple A106 style amp, makes life easy for graduate students
    ~
    In other words, the open loop is a tough cookie, and can take abuse. My first Galvo was an open loop G330, driven by a PC printer port. , My first shows were done with Accelerator 124 amps and G124s. Bill ( Pangolin) and Greg (LSDI) had something magical with the Accelerators.
    ~
    I still am keeping a pile of G124, having sold or given away many during my career, and all but two were purchased as surplus. I have a few that are still in the factory bags.
    Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 03-10-2021 at 08:31.

I loved my 124s. They were my first "serious" galvos. I drove them off my PC Lite graphics card, completely open loop. A pretty limited setup by today's standards but the ability to make simple graphics and cool abstracts for under a grand, that was cool stuff for this kid, right out of high school!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.