Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rabbit in the moon show.

Default rabbit in the moon show.

well,i just wanted to share that we have been hired for a halloween show with rabbit in the moon.
    we'll be using the cubr and ,of course, lots of bounce mirrors.
    doing laser shows for electronic dance events is just a labor of love.
    especially here in portland with most promoters on a very tight budget.
    so,we're not making any real money on this show but it is one of the biggest things happening in town this year and i am excited to be part of what should be a great night.

Great!
    Fortunately it's always a pleasure to make laser shows, even if they gives not a lot of money, I know that (but had to say, that for the moment I did only shows for friends, or friends of friends ).

I'll be happy to see some videos

jez louise,now she's dickering w/ me on the price.
    i cut my minimum earlier this year and can't lower it any more.
    i've offered her a long term agreement for extending the introductory show price.
    i'll keep you all posted.
    there is a limit.

Someone (can't remember whom now) posted a while back that the surest way to loose your ass in the laser show business is to offer discounts.

His point was to avoid discounts if at all possible, and to *never* discount the labor rate. In other words, give them a reduced rate on the equipment rental if you have to (even free if you think the risk is worth it to land a series of gigs) but alway charge them full price for setup, tear down, travel, and content creation time. (The latter only applies to corporate shows where you need to do logos and stuff.)

He said that the producers need to understand that there is a human cost involved that is above and beyond the maintenance and depreciation costs of the equipment. But discounting the entire price hurts you because it makes it easy for them to forget about the human cost.

It was a well thought out post, and even though I'm not in the business of doing commercial shows myself, I could see his point and largely agreed with his reasoning.

Damn - I wish I could find it now...

Anyway, it sounds like this venue manager is trying to play you like a fiddle. Hope you can work out a deal with her so you keep the gig and don't have to starve while doing it. Keep us informed!

Adam

i read that post.
    the thing is there is no money here (for edm shows)and if i want to have any fun w/ my big laser,i have to adjust to what others are offering.
    i pay my bills w/ my day job and don't want the cubr to just sit in the back hall forever.
    i work weekends at my job but get time off whenever i have a show.
    i'd rather do lasers instead of go to work anytime.
    Last edited by wes; 08-21-2007 at 12:52.

I hear you buddy. I've worked with a company out of Charlotte to do a couple EDM shows in Atlanta, including Tiesto last year and Paul Van Dyke this past spring. You're right - there's no money in it at all. I can make a lot more money just sitting on my ass at work like I am right now. But I can't play with lasers at work, so there you go.

Nice that the guy is willing to work with you though. Sort of like the atmosphere here on PL... More about sharing knowledge than hoarding it. Maybe he'll start concentrating more on the digital video end and let you handle the lasers? For sure a livepro beamshow is going to look 10 times better than a beam box with no scanners in it... And you should be able to match his power output with your CuBr rig, right? Maybe a partnership would be best for both of you...

Good luck either way!

Adam

hey,sorry i edited out much of what you are responding too buffo.
    yeah,i am pleased always to meet someone cool who is into lasers.
    i'm actually promoting my budget show more now as that seems to be the niche open.

If you have to, accept the low cost, do a really rocking show, make sure the manager sees how happy the crowd is, and make it VERY clear than you must be fully paid for the next shows. You'll get your money as soon as the management think you can set up in another club. If there's only one club you're stuffed unless you set up your own, probably.

Not to disagree with the good doctor but don't compromise too much on your price. I have a little experience in this area and I will tell you that they will try to screw you down to the lowest price they possibly can to further line their coffers. If you give them a break they will expect it forever. They will use the fact that this is fun for you, to screw you.
    Trust me been there done that.
    They will use you and screw you, then drop you like a hot rock when some knucklehead will beat your price by 50 bux, irregardless of quality. Promoters and club owners have ZERO loyalty. I have lost tens of thousands because of this.

It is always, The DJ's were more, the venue was more, the fliers were more, the sound was more, the lighting was more, the lasers was more, we are over budget... BULLSHIT!! They don't throw parties for "the love of the scene" they want to make money so they can buy the hottest new sneakers, and be pimpin'.
    In the mean time you are schlepping around expensive, fragile equipment doing the load in, show and then are waiting to strike because of a dozen E-tards who won't fall over, at 6 am, and they are laughing all the way to the bank.
    And also never by the "we will have people to help you load out" line. Guaranteed you will end up with the above e-tards.

On another note say HI to Dave and Bunnie from: LD Chad from Denver.

chad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rabbit small.jpg  

rabbit small2.jpg  

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

I think I had started the topic about laser shows as a full time job some time ago. From my experience once you got your name out there and people know what you do you can dictate what you want. But before that you need to adapt. Because noone will call you or book you if they don't know what you do.

WES I think it's a good opportunity for you to show what you can do. Despite that fact that IMHO Rabbit in the moon can't write music. But they putting ok show.

Price....start with 100$ per hour.