Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: New forum

Went, saw, left.

Laser ben know his stuff. Unfortunately, most of the posts I saw were of the 'OMG laZerz are teh cool! thy cans burn stuff!!1!eleventy' variety.
    I guess I am an old school laserist. I have been captivated by Lasers for 16 years now (mostly laser display) and get annoyed when people have lasers that I would have killed for in my youth and the only thing that is of any interest is burning stuff. arrrg!

Chad

/ end rant.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    ummm... http://www.spectraforum.com/phpBB2/index.php

he's jokin' on ya.
    gotta admit though,your response to it is funnier than the original joke.
    sorry i just didnt really get why he was telling me to post about a new forum on the new forum itself. doesnt make much sense to me. i thought he might have been talking about a new forum board over here.

and my username is not laserturd in case you didnt know.

if you guys dont want to join, and are happy here on this forum, where you dont like helping people out or winning free lasers, then just stay.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by laserterd View Post
    and my username is not laserturd in case you didnt know.

if you guys dont want to join, and are happy here on this forum, where you dont like helping people out or winning free lasers, then just stay.
    The turd thing was a joke... haha... I would have thought of a different name, but... is terd not the same as turd?

And we are happy here, where we DO help people out, or some, I usually get helped out.

As for winning free lasers... I, as I mentioned, would not be going to the site, , but we all like to win free stuff, maybe we should hold a raffle here.

Actually at SELEM, my projector got helped out by three knowledgable gentlemen AND I won some free laser stuff.

Thumbs down

[

if you guys dont want to join, and are happy here on this forum, where you dont like helping people out or winning free lasers, then just stay.[/quote]

I really cant let this "dont like helping people out" stuff go by without comment.

A few months ago I came to lasers from an electronics background. I didn't know a DPSS from a Dichro to anything else. I'm still learning flat out.

If it wasnt for the guys on this forum and the help and the lengths they go to explain things I would still be trying to figure out what these things are.

Sorry, but your way out of line with this no help comment.

Maybe its an age thing looking at the type of comments on your forum. Personally I'm not into burning things however if thats what someone wants to do that's fine with me but please don't try to put the boot into a bunch of great guys who fall over backwards to help from all corners of the world.

Perhaps I might make you the same offer you made in your post if you like it go there and perhaps for the sake of peace you might consider staying there .......... go win a laser or burn something down.

Cheers

RAy
    NZ

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pitts View Post

I really cant let this "dont like helping people out" stuff go by without comment.
    I see we were posting somethign similar at the same time...

ya you guys help out people on this forum, but when it comes to people who are joining just to advertise another forum, you just put them down and say how immature they are because there is 1 post in which we talk about lasers and burning.

go check the laser community, every other post is some new guy asking if his 15mw evo is going to burn through his hand or light a match.

and i know that the people on this forum are not as experienced or as smart as you guys, and thats why i posted it here. i was hoping that some of you would be kind enough to help out a bit, and contribute a bit of your knowledge.

Lightbulb

Then come and bring some of your less experienced friends over here.

I am personally not interested in another forum, and definatly not another pointer forum. I have CPF to go to for all my laser burning and ballon popping fun.

No offence intended here or with the "turd" joke. It is hard enough to keep track of my posts here much less the other two forums I frequent. I do not need to try another laser forum.

We are fairly thick skinned here, probably due to age and experience, so that is one of the reasons you are getting the responses. I have not seen many forums advertised on other forums. It looks like you are trying to bait us to hang out somewhere else, when we are happy and established here. I bet there are sponsors and banner adverts all over the place there...

If you need help, post a question. We will be happy to help, or someone will, I will probably post a smiley in your direction unless for some strange reason I can help. In which case I will still toss in a smiley. So please ask away any questions you have, just don't ask us to leave our lovely auditorium we have here. I have faith there is no other place as comfortable. Most of us here are really nice... until we are not.

Quote Originally Posted by laserterd View Post
    ya you guys help out people on this forum, but when it comes to people who are joining just to advertise another forum, you just put them down and say how immature they are because there is 1 post in which we talk about lasers and burning.
    You are *way* out of line here. First, there are several posts on that new board that are questionable at best. (And some are posted by people that really should know better.) LaserBen's explanation of green He-Ne lasers where he talks about how they use a different isotope (!) of Helium, for example. Helloooo! Lasers deal with electron energy levels. The structure of the nucleus is irrelevent! Or the one I mentioned above about how a ruby laser works. (Though in that one at least LaserBen managed to correct the original poster.) So don't get hung up on the the laser buring thread; it was just a convenient example of the sort of mindless drivel that was posted all over the place. The comments here about the lack of quality posts on that forum were right on the money. Denying it doesn't change the fact.

Now, being inexperienced isn't such a bad thing per se, but when you promote a new forum it would be desireable to actually have some good information available on the site. I see very little - if any - of that.

Second, what makes you think we have an obligation to help YOUR forum out? Your forum's popularity is not our problem. Then you admitted that the only reason you joined PhotonLexicon was to advertize the existence of another laser forum. WTF? You want us to help you with your users? Sorry pal, but we've got users right here that need help. And if I'm going to devote some of my precious free time to answering a question, it's going to be at a place where I've received help before. A place where I feel comfortable. And a place where people give back to the community. You seem to think that we all owe it to you to go help out your forum. It doesn't work that way dude.
    i was hoping that some of you would be kind enough to help out a bit, and contribute a bit of your knowledge.
    Why not send your friends over here. We *are* kind enough to help out. This whole forum is devoted to helping people out. Hell, at SELEM a guy drove 7 hours to get there with a nearly new argon laser tube in his car, which he *GAVE* to me. Then he spent nearly 5 hours tearing apart my laser to get the new tube hooked up. You know what he asked for in return? Nothing. The best I could get him to agree to was to let me buy him dinner that night. How's that for helping people out? (And believe me, that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the sort of generosity and selfless assistance that people here are capable of. I think more than a few people here are aware of the incredible favors that Bill Benner of Pangolin has granted...)

Why do you want to re-invent the wheel? Why not send your newbie friends here? Oh, that's right, because you want your forum to be better than this one. That's really crass, dude. You're asking people to forsake this forum for yours, just because you give away free laser pointers once in a while? Give me a break. If I were you, I'd go back to CandlePowerForums and trade messages with the pointer-jocky crowd there.

Aaron said it best: you are trying to bait us to hang out somewhere else. You even admitted it in your post. Well, we're not so fickle as to be swayed by a free laser pointer or two. Most of us are here because we believe in the community that has formed around these forums. You didn't bother to lurk here long enough to figure that out. (For that matter, neither did LaserBen, which is why he's put his foot in his mouth a few times already.) If you want to be part of this community, you're welcome to participate. But if you expect us to ditch PhotonLexicon for your site, well, speaking for me personally: Forget it.
    Last edited by buffo; 08-23-2007 at 15:32.

Who wants a "life shortened" Pointer ( reminds me of my "Laserknob" thread ) when ......

you can go to Salem .... and win a set of Scanners or go to the Uk meet
    and all get great Pangolin shirts .....

thinks ... me sticks with this crazy bunch

all the best ... Karl

Me liking here. Me would not go to another forum. Why me liking here?. When me post a reply and me make a mistake other forum dudes will correct me with polite and professional attitude. People here have knowledge and patience. Those qualities are SOOOOO hard to find in the world of interweb.

So me said all!