Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic placement and safety questions: should I just forget about a projector?

Perhaps I should start a new thread but this is really closely related so while your attention is here ..

I've got an installation that uses data from lidars to create audio - so the audience is in the live area. I want to add lighting, and two of my favourite ideas are line art, so lasers are easily the most beautiful way to create it.

However, the lit area is where people are. Most obviously, by projecting onto the floor. Unfortunately I can't think of a way of patterning the floor without also making the sources unreasonably dangerous. The next best idea is probably to project onto a a mesh ceiling using lasers at or above floor level and pointed upwards, but it doesn't connect as well with the participants. At worst, I suppose I might use a digital projector but pixels just don't do it for me.

Am I right about the danger of downward-pointing lasers or are beam movement detectors ensuring no static beams sufficient to make that possible ?

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

firing lasers down into your audience is going to be trouble...

i suggest you use video for immersion and laser on the walls. the audience will probably not figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by artag View Post
    Perhaps I should start a new thread but this is really closely related so while your attention is here ..

I've got an installation that uses data from lidars to create audio - so the audience is in the live area. I want to add lighting, and two of my favourite ideas are line art, so lasers are easily the most beautiful way to create it.

However, the lit area is where people are. Most obviously, by projecting onto the floor. Unfortunately I can't think of a way of patterning the floor without also making the sources unreasonably dangerous. The next best idea is probably to project onto a a mesh ceiling using lasers at or above floor level and pointed upwards, but it doesn't connect as well with the participants. At worst, I suppose I might use a digital projector but pixels just don't do it for me.

Am I right about the danger of downward-pointing lasers or are beam movement detectors ensuring no static beams sufficient to make that possible ?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.