Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2021 Sign-up Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    SELEM is a state of mind/body/spirit/sake that has no physical location.

Yes oh great mystic one.

Default SELEM or..

How about?? DELLEM--or DELEM--OR Krazy wonderful awesome meet!!
    cant wait-- I hope we can some day have well attended LEMs everywhere.

Bob Hess needs help once he finds a new bigger place to live and move his collection :-).
    -- wouldn't it be Kewl if we could be there when that happens.. IF he could just work on the set-up and WE gently move the collection I am sure that would be a big help--who better to trust than us!!??--I have some book shelves to donate and they are very cheap at thrift stores--

All Hail Bob, Adam and Brad!!

hak
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 04-06-2021 at 18:29.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

hak you've been waiting two years for this. I hope no one gets covid and have good times. I won't go this year as I'm still iffy about the pandemic but next year I hope too. Delaware is so much closer to me

Default made 5

Not thinking I would make another (SELEM) THEN after 5 in a row--thinking I would NEVER miss another.

so i will 'be on track' ----Less than 2 months after my first SELEM I found a dusty empty warehouse of $150 (weekend)-- it was w/o much advance notice
    BUT 300Evil (& his Dad) and Platinum made it a huge success -- The rest there were local friends who were blown away.
    (they stopped asking me 'WHY LASERS? Do you really need more than one??

. STEXLEM 1(Freeport TX) lasted until 4:30 am. at 2 am the music suddenly died/ended-- overheat AFAIK -but a buddy drove his truck inside and the laser party continued.. On one side we had a Pizza joint on the other a Liquor Store--!!! who needs more?

I have been looking for a good venue near DFW-- MYB at same time Rick and Tiffany ('BRCKS!') have a local gig..
    I hear they were the first PF tribute band and the best too!! I heard Tiff 'singing along' at SELEM--

WOW ....she has the voice of an ANGEL.

find and follow them at Facebook..
    hak
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 04-06-2021 at 18:33.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    It is possible to embroider on a T-Shirt without issue though, so it should be feasible.
    Embroidery on a T-shirt is doable, but messy. (It normally doesn't last more than a few wash cycles.) Some vendors refuse to do embroidery on T-shirts, but I know of at least a couple that offer it - with the caveat that it won't last as long. The knit material of a polo shirt holds up much better, so that's the fabric of choice.

That being said, if you're doing silk-screening, then the woven material of a T-shirt is the superior choice because it's so much smoother.

We talked about the pros and cons of silk-screened T-shirts vs embroidered Polos back when we first got started. The consensus was that a Polo is more durable and thus more desirable even though embroidery does place some limits on the complexity of the logo design. Another factor to consider is cost: embroidery gets very affordable with scale, especially once you hit the 50-70 shirt range. Silk-screening is slightly cheaper on the front end, but it doesn't really benefit much from larger orders. Plus at this point it's also about tradition!

People also ask, "Why black?" The answer is that many SELEM veterans spend at least some of their free time working on laser shows, or doing other work in theaters, clubs, or similar venues where the "staff" is supposed to blend in to the background so as to not distract from the main performance. Black has always been the color of choice for people doing this sort of work. So while we may only have a few full-time laserists in our group, a large number of us still have a side gig or two where we do laser-y things on nights and weekends. And that's a perfect place to show off a SELEM shirt!

True, black might be the wrong color to wear at the beach, but how many people wear a SELEM shirt at the beach? I have seen people wearing SELEM shirts in more formal settings, however, and you have to admit that even a 5 year old SELEM polo looks a lot classier than your average concert T-shirt (especially after you've washed them both a few dozen times).

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    Just a thought - If SELEM stays in Delaware its no longer a SELEM.
    Its really a NELEM.
    As others have already stated; SELEM is more than just a name. I see no reason to change the name just because it's moved a few hundred miles further North. Also, the name NELEM is already taken, as several people have been coming together for meets in the New England area for quite a while now. If anything, Delaware would suggest a Mid-Atlantic name, but again, the name isn't as important as the people. No, it will be SELEM - now and forever!

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    SELEM is a state of mind/body/spirit/sake that has no physical location.
    That's rather poetic! Although I love the fact that you added "state of sake"! (I swear that stuff will ruin us one day...)

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Just as confirmation for pricing on Holiday Inn Express bookings...

Hi Brad,

It was nice meeting with you today. As discussed, we do have the availability for your group. I can offer you a discounted rate of $119.00 for a suite with 2 queen size beds and a sleeper sofa and $119.00 for a suite with a king size bed and sleeper sofa.

Please let me know if you want to move forward with this block. I look forward to working with you and your group.

Have a GREAT day,
    Sincerely,

Kelleigh Davis, General Manager
    Holiday Inn Express & Suites Elkton - University Area
    1570 Elkton Road
    Elkton, MD 21921
    P: 443-350-9154 Ext. 503

PM Sent...

Thanks for arranging the group rate at the Holiday Inn Express, Brad! I have to say, that's a pretty good deal for the room with two queen beds + a sleeper sofa. 3 people in that room brings the cost to around 40 bucks per night per person!

If I remember correctly, the HIE in Hickory didn't offer sleeper sofas in any of their standard rooms, and their prices for the suites were a lot higher, so already I'm liking this new hotel...

Have you seen what the suites look like at this hotel? Just curious if they have a full kitchen like the suites in Hickory did. (Those were really nice!)

Also, did you remember to give a call to the Elk Forge B&B so that they know to give the 20% discount for people calling from the "SELEM Laser Group"?

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I've not seen the rooms but, I can stop and see about checking them out. I forgot to call LeAnne but, am doing it now.

Also.... for those glampers considering coming with an RV - and I already know one - Lum's Pond State Park is 4.1 straight down the street miles (at 50mph) away from the hall and is ranked by Readers Digest as the best RV park in the state.

https://destateparks.com/PondsRivers/LumsPond
    PM Sent...

Lightbulb Change to SELEM shirt order: T-shirt option added!

Hey Everyone;

After discussing the shirt options with several people, I've decided to make a small change to the shirts for this year. You can either specify the standard Polo shirt we've used in the past, or you can specify a high-quality, 6-oz pre-shrunk cotton T-shirt instead. Both shirts are from Gilden, so they should be of equal quality. Black is still the only color choice though!

I've been re-assured that the embroidery on the Gilden T-shirt will not fray or pucker like it might on a cheaper product. I've also seen examples of embroidery on this exact brand of shirt that has held up well even after years of wearing and washing. The cost of the two shirts is very close, and even though splitting the order will probably limit the volume discount for us I still think it's worth doing this at least once to see how it goes.

If you have already signed up for SELEM and you still want a Polo shirt, you're fine. The default for everyone will be the standard Polo. But if you want a T-shirt instead, just reach out to me and I'll change your preference on the master list.

If anyone wants to order extra shirts (either Polos or T-shirts), just send your payment via PayPal to selempayment@gmail.com before July 9th and specify the size and type of shirt you are ordering. Cost is the same ($20 per shirt) for either a Polo or a T-shirt.

Adam

Default who is driving from Tx?

I may not have a ride after all. we will see..<br>
    have gas $$ may need a ride.<br>
    I wanted to pay before the cost went up so...<br>
    I dont really need all the stuff I was planning to take.<br>
    <br>
    ask around for me please..hak
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 04-11-2021 at 09:33.