Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2021 Sign-up Thread

Signed up!

See y'all there.

...Mike
    Runs with Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    As others have already stated; SELEM is more than just a name. I see no reason to change the name just because it's moved a few hundred miles further North. Also, the name NELEM is already taken, as several people have been coming together for meets in the New England area for quite a while now. If anything, Delaware would suggest a Mid-Atlantic name, but again, the name isn't as important as the people. No, it will be SELEM - now and forever!
    I knew NELEM was taken, I was just pointing out how much FURTHER north this is - not necessarily for a name change.

Have fun

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I just flew round trip Baltimore - Dallas for $59 on American.
    PM Sent...

Laser Warning great price

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I just flew round trip Baltimore - Dallas for $59 on American.
    ATM I should consider all possible ways excluding driving especialy solo
    --Displaser has miles to use.. myb we can fly together..NO WAY WILL i NEVER DRIVE SOLO AGAIN.

Which airports are best choice?. To get the best deal when should I try to book? which airline?
    ty for any help
    Im flying if I go.. I will there to help w/sunday set-up.
    Last edited by hakzaw1; 04-15-2021 at 13:01. Reason: update
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

If your buddy wants to help out with load-in on Sunday, that would be appreciated. But I can't see a need for any scaffolding. To be honest, we haven't used scaffold at SELEM in years.

We will have the big triangle truss and Wil's smaller box truss available for projectors on the Club-SELEM side of the hall. On the Auditorium side of the hall we will have numerous tripods and glow totems for the projectors. We'll probably use tripods at the back of the room for the graphics projectors and the glow totems up front near the wall (display screen) for any beam projectors. Obviously the venue has tables and chairs in abundance, so no worries there.

Setup should go a lot smoother at Brad's venue than it ever did in Newton!

Adam

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

J
    Quote Originally Posted by hakzaw1 View Post
    Which airports are best choice?. To get the best deal when should I try to book? which airline?
    ty for any help
    I used Priceline. Nothing special. I have often used Google Flights as well. As far as flying out of Texas, airports I have familiarity with are DFW, Houston Hobby, George Bush Int., Austin and, whatever San Antonio's airport is. Family has used Killeen Regional several times to get to Dallas. For flying in, either BWI or PHL (Baltimore/Washington Int. and Philadelphia Int.). Honestly... the trick is use the various combinations and see what gives you the lowest fare. Be certain to check on baggage because some of the cheapest appearing flights end up costing the same if you're checking 1 or more bags. Most of my trips recently I've just had a backpack and nothing else but, I know that won't work for SELEM. I believe Tuesdays are the best days to do your searches. Personally I tend to go for non stop flights so usually will drive the extra distance to a larger airport. I also periodically will pay the upcharge to select seats and am often offered upgrades to first class for $80-$90.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 04-15-2021 at 15:02.
    PM Sent...

Default ty brad

Much appreciated.
    I did not know about the checked bag fee.
    BEYOND-FB3/APC40Mamba Black(clone & currently on loan) 2X 5paghetti & 2 I-Show 2X KGB 1000mW 532 DT40K (pair)XFX 1300 RGB full color RGB 30K DIY 3.5WRGB work in progress et al..assorted ttl chi-jectors--LOTS of LUMIA DIY pjs-
    Powered by Pangolin
    Former (2.5 yrs) ILDA Member- :-(
    uncertified ILDA LSO -- dont ask

Yeah, that checked-bag fee sort of became an industry standard a few years ago, and it still pisses me off. The airlines are always complaining about how much easier it would be if people didn't bring so much carry-on luggage. Well, I might consider checking a bag if you: A) wouldn't throw it around like a damned football, and B) wouldn't charge me $30 to check it.

I will echo Brad's advice about checking the business class and first class ticket prices though. If you are planning to check a bag or two, the cost of those checked bags might increase the price of your "economy" ticket to the point where you would be better off upgrading to the next tier. Usually the higher-tier tickets don't charge you for checked bags. (At least, not unless you have more than 2.)

When we were arranging the International flights to Utila for Caribb-LEM in 2019, we were concerned that the weight of the laser projectors in our luggage would put us over the 50 lb limit for checked bags. In the end we were able to just squeak by (49.5 lbs!), but if we had ended up going over on the weight it was actually cheaper to upgrade to a first-class ticket (which had a weight limit of 70 lbs) instead of paying the baggage overweight fee on the economy-coach ticket.

Short version: airlines suck.

Adam

Default Great news for me--

This is my 'kid' brother-- he just called & I told him about our meet in aug. You may have never heard of him BUT I am sure you have heard him..(unless you have never seen 'Groundhog Day'

Rick did the voice of the morning DJ- 'Rise and shine happy campers---it 'groundhog day' .
    Lately he has been doing well-- it is his voice we hear in the Keebler Cookie ad on TV he gets a tiny payment for every time it is aired and it does add up.
    So he offered to fund my trip to SELEM- no strings.
    WOW I am blown away.
    I will be there for sure (unless I am unable to travel)
    search Richard Henzel --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Henzel

^^^ this is just one 'hit'
    IF you see a place to email him--to say THANKS on my behalf (even if you may not be thrilled to see me again-- maybe)--among other things he does audio Books- and appears on stage as Mark Twain--has 12 hours of Twain memorized-- at one time Hal Holbrook wanted to sue him--he has some kind of exclusive rights to Twain's stuff
    So he attended one of Rick's shows and really liked his work- met with him after-they had a great long talk --so he gave Rick his 'blessings' to carry on-- IF you like Mark Twain you would enjoy Rick's work- it is a joy to experience. it is great to listen to while traveling.. If you do not know Twain well- hear Rick & you will become a fan. He looks/sounds more like Twain than Holbrook does or for that matter Twain.
    If I have enough $$ I may get a one-way to SELEM then look for a great deal on a flight to visit Rick and worry later how to get back to TEXAS.

btw
    he has fans--more than 2500 FaceBook friends.

Find him there and say you know me--woot!!!