Thread: Optimal settings for DT-40s

Laser Warning Optimal settings for DT-40s

Hello.
    I am looking for information on the optimal settings for DT-40
    While experimenting with images and animation I cause my galvos whine.
    I want work with in the limits of the hardware/software.
    So I am looking for any pointers on scan rates, frame rates, number of points , blanking and the like.
    I have have read mention of tuning the galvos but I am only guessing that means setting your software to reflect the operating limits of the galvanometers.
    thanks
    D

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Tuning the galvos is actually done with a small screwdriver to adjust the little potentiometers on the scanner driver boards inside the projector along with some test patterns in your software. In all honesty, your scanners are likely pretty close to being in tune. You'll can check that by using the test patterns. It's not an overly difficult process BUT... not one you necessarily want to attempt without some adult supervision. You can screw up your scanners by turning the wrong pots. Heck, I've watched it done several times and have done it myself and still don't like doing it without some adult supervision. There's a great resource I can see if I can find and link here written by Adam Burns (buffo on the forum) about the procedure to tune scanners. A lot of times it's a staple of SELEM that we have a session on scanner tuning and people can bring their problem projectors and learn how to tune them accompanied by people who have done it a lot.

As far as settings... for the time being, I'd keep your software set to 30K. That's regarded as an industry standard and should not give you any issues. Yes, you can drive them a little harder but, most content is going to be created to be optimal with scanners tuned to 30k. With the advent of the Pangolin Saturn scanners, some people are starting to program shows optimized for 60k but, if you don't have 60k scanners, you probably don't want to play them.
    PM Sent...

Awesome!
    Exactly what I needed to hear to move forward.
    Thank you Bradfo69!
    Best D

I don't know why but when I edit my post with my phone, my post gets wiped out. Anyway...

You also want to keep scan angles low for graphics. When DT-40 specs say they can do 40K, it's at 8 degrees. That is a pretty damn small image. With my DT-40s tuned in well, I can hit about 15 degrees at 30K. After that, there is slight degradation. Keep in mind, I am also using very narrow mirrors. Since I project mainly abstract images and limited graphics, I am pushing them to 20 degrees but complex graphics and block text start to suffer e.g. rounded corners and such.

I would advise not tuning your scanners unless you have to. To check, display the ILDA test pattern at 30K and scale back the image size to where the test pattern looks near perfect. If it's around 12~18 degrees at 30K, you're in the butter zone. If it's 10 degrees or less, you could tweak the tuning a bit. If you can't get a perfect image at 30K, they are out of tune. Tuning is not only tedious, it takes a bit of time. I have tuned my fair share of scanners and to tune in a set that has gone off the rails, it still takes me a good 45 minutes. My first time tuning in scanners, I was at it for several hours. Surprisingly, what gets on your nerves is the noise when tuning the ILDA test pattern in. The ticking chatter from the scanners is enough to make your head explode. At least, that's how it is for me. It's definitely not a pleasant sound! Anyone who has tuned a set of G-120s knows what I'm talking about. I have to wad up toilet paper for my ears or use earplugs. To follow up with what Brad said, you don't want to do it if you don't have to. It's a pain in the ass.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Great !
    Thank you!
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Dbunny View Post
    Hello.
    I am looking for information on the optimal settings for DT-40
    While experimenting with images and animation I cause my galvos whine.
    I want work with in the limits of the hardware/software.
    So I am looking for any pointers on scan rates, frame rates, number of points , blanking and the like.
    I have have read mention of tuning the galvos but I am only guessing that means setting your software to reflect the operating limits of the galvanometers.
    thanks
    D
    More we use the Laser Media test and tuned the scanner.
    Set the speed 25-30Kpps,30% output about 20 degress you will know how the scanner state.

No any course teah how to tune the scanner,that is a hard work so don't try tune the scanner.
    If you tuned scanner correct you will get below perfect image,good luck
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laser media.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	324.2 KB 
ID:	58081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	laser media image.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	58082
    http://dtscanner.cn/en/homeen

DT-40pro scanner
    DT45/50 scanner

Good information and link.
    I am getting excellent results with your DT-40'S
    Thank you for a great product!