Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DT40W mount... high off baseplate? Different mounts or what?

Default DT40W mount... high off baseplate? Different mounts or what?

I have a projector that I have been delaying forever on building... 2 watt DPSS green and DT40W. Nothing fancy, but a lot to stuff in the box.

Figure I have a lot of money in the parts I should finally do something.

Turns out the DT40W galvos ... the mount is darn high off the baseplate. The DPSS laser and normal optics sit much lower.

Is this normal? Are there different mounting blocks? What don't I know?

Do I just need to fire the beam upwards into the galvos? Not a problem just need to find some mounts that can adjust for that much up an upshot.

I want the laser mounted to the baseplate for heat dissapation (TEC), so I'm not trying to go crazy shimming.

Just trying to figure out what is normal :-)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DT40.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	352.3 KB 
ID:	58088

https://imgur.com/a/vtOIqVo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DT40W-1.PNG  

Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

use two mm1's with mirrors in a periscope configuration to raise the beam height.

Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    I have a projector that I have been delaying forever on building... 2 watt DPSS green and DT40W. Nothing fancy, but a lot to stuff in the box.

Figure I have a lot of money in the parts I should finally do something.

Turns out the DT40W galvos ... the mount is darn high off the baseplate. The DPSS laser and normal optics sit much lower.

Is this normal? Are there different mounting blocks? What don't I know?

Do I just need to fire the beam upwards into the galvos? Not a problem just need to find some mounts that can adjust for that much up an upshot.

I want the laser mounted to the baseplate for heat dissapation (TEC), so I'm not trying to go crazy shimming.

Just trying to figure out what is normal :-)

Name:	DT40.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	352.3 KB 
ID:	58088

https://imgur.com/a/vtOIqVo
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Or find someone or a maker space with a mill and cut down the galvo mount.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Or find someone or a maker space with a mill and cut down the galvo mount.

This is what I did a couple years back.
    leading in trailing technology

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I will probably try Swamidog's idea at first which is what I was figuring I would have to do unless I can shim it all.

I thought about trying to cut down the mount but the odds of me doing it level without some crazy fancy rig are minimal. I have a non-ferrous blade for cutting aluminum extrusions and sheet metal but no way anything I do would be level. Local makerspace, I'm a partial member but they don't have a vertical mill just a CNC router as I recall.

The laser I am using is the LaserWave 2 watt DPSS. I think Swami and others have them too, got it during a SELEM. I thought it was supposed to get really hot due to TEC but with it running on the bench for like 5 minutes set CW the laser module itself was actually cool but the driver board was hot as hell. There is a thermocouple thingy that hangs off of it -- not sure what it's supposed to monitor or where I should put it. If the head doesn't get that hot and just the driver gets hot then I can shim everything and save space? Anyone know about these modules?
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

I have a way shorter mounting block for DTs. I'm sure I could send it to you for the price of shipping. To be honest, I have never seen one as tall as the one you have. That's a pretty chonky base!

Name:	20210622_183908.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	58090
    Last edited by absolom7691; 06-22-2021 at 17:41.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

If the block is aluminum you could clamp it to a table saw miter slide and cut it very straight with a carbide blade. Should come out nice if you clamp it well and you can easily sand out any swirls with sandpaper. Mounting it so that the blade cuts off exactly what you need might be difficult but at least you could get it in the ballpark so that your mirrors don't need to deflect the beam so much. Just make sure you clamp it very well because the last thing you want to do is make a projectile out of it.

This is what a milling machine does. If you use the right tool, you've got a really good chance to get the right result. For that matter, with a milling machine you can take a block of aluminum and make a whole new part the height you want it to be...
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I would agree with these guys ^^. It would probably be better to cut or mill (milling would probably be best) the one you have now. While the one I have is shorter, I can guarantee that it will be too short for "plug and play", in which case, you'd have to use aluminum spacers to get it to the right height. If you have yours milled, everything will be exactly as you need it.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    This is what a milling machine does. If you use the right tool, you've got a really good chance to get the right result. For that matter, with a milling machine you can take a block of aluminum and make a whole new part the height you want it to be...
    True. I bought a mini-mill when I first started with this hobby and it probably paid for itself due to the mounts I made with it. But, cutting a square aluminum block in half can easily be done well with a table saw or miter saw if clamped properly.

I remember my dad cut a keyway on a steel axle shaft on his homemade table saw back in the 70s when we were making a go-kart.

Or just take it to a machine shop.