Thread: Selem directions

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Default Selem directions

I still don't know how to successfully get a picture posted on here anymore so, I'll have to type this out. As has been mentioned, SELEM is straddling the border of two states, Maryland and Delaware. Whether you're coming from the north, south or west, most everyone is probably going to be accessing the area via interstate 95. The venue is at the last Delaware exit going south and, the hotel and bed and breakfast are all at the last Maryland exit headed north. There's a touch over two miles between the exits BUT there is also a $4 toll booth each way at the state line. I don't know about you but, I don't mind driving an easy (once you've done it) extra five minutes each way to avoid it and save $8 per day.

It's a lot of words to type but... its really simple once you've done it.

So, if you are coming from the south and taking I-95 north through Maryland. You're going to be getting off at the last exit which is exit 109 Elkton/Newark, DE (also mile marker 109) and taking route 279 west towards Newark, DE. If you are staying at the Holiday Inn Express it will be about a half mile on your right, just past the T/A truck stop. If you are staying at the bed and breakfast, just past the Holiday Inn you'll see a Wawa convenience store on your left and you'll be making a left at that light which is route 277 (Fletchwood Road). The B&B at that point is about 1.2 miles down 277 on your right, shortly after a 4 way blinking red light.

Now... for you coming from the south (and almost everyone else for the remainder of the week, once they've checked in) to THEN get to the venue... you'd either go back to Wawa and turn left if you're staying at the B&B or, go past the Wawa and cross into Delaware if you're coming from the hotel. You will go to the second traffic light at that point (They're only a couple hundred yards apart) and turn right onto Ott's Chapel Road. There's a lot of construction going on as they're rebuilding the road around that intersection.) You are going to go to the 3rd traffic light which is roughly 3 miles and be making a left turn into the corporate park onto Pencader Drive. You will be greeted by a strong smell of chocolate once you make the turn as United Cocoa's processing plant is the first building. Take Pencader to the stop sign, make a right onto Corporate Drive and then go to the second cross street which is Executive Drive and turn right. You'll see the banquet hall on your left as we're right on the corner. (To make life a little interesting, Ott's Chapel Road actually becomes Pleasant Valley Road after the second traffic light you passed, before entering the corporate park.)

Now... if you are coming from the north on I-95 south through Delaware... you'll be negotiating the last exit in Delaware which is for route 896 - Exit 1A and 1B. To go to the venue first, you're going to get off at exit 1A, which is 896 south towards Middletown. From there you are simply going to the 4th traffic light which is about 2 miles from I-95. It's a straight shot at 50mph so takes no time at all. You'll turn right into Corporate Drive (entrance to Pencader Corporate Center) and we're the first building on your left. You do need to pass it and turn left on Executive Drive to get to the actual parking lot entrance. To go to the hotel or B&B first, you would get off I-95 at exit 1B towards Newark. You will stay in the right lane and go to the second traffic light, (just past McDonalds) and, you will be making the jug handle turn to your right just past the intersection to get onto W. Chestnut Hill Road. It will make sense when you see it. (You just can't turn left at W. Chestnut Hill Road so you have to enter it from the right.) W. Chestnut Hill is a two lane road (George Thorogood's house is on it) and you're going to take it to the only traffic light and then turn right onto Ott's Chapel Road and go the next light (which is a dead end), you'll turn left onto route 279 (also known as Elkton Newark Road). At this point if you're going to the B&B, you'll make the next right at the Wawa onto route 277 (Fletchwood Road) and go approx 1.2 miles to the B&B on your right, past the blinking 4 way stop sign. If you are going to the Holiday Inn, you'll simply go past the Wawa and you'll see it on your left. The left hand turn to get into the parking lot is just past the building.

Phew... ok. Lot of words. But again, it's all pretty simple once you've seen it and done it and, its far better than dropping $8 per day on the damn toll.
    Last edited by Bradfo69; 06-30-2021 at 17:47.
    PM Sent...

Do GPS if set avoid tolls work in this area? think that is my only hope after reading above.
    leading in trailing technology

Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Do GPS if set avoid tolls work in this area? think that is my only hope after reading above.
    It might. I've got a standalone GPS and, Maps on an iPhone so maybe I can experiment a little and see what happens. Push comes to shove, pay the toll when you first come into town and then I can show you the way to navigate the way around it once you get here.
    PM Sent...

Default DC / Baltimore corridor bypass?

It's been a LONG time since I traveled in that part of the world ~

I-81 out of East Tennessee ~
    Is it worthwhile heading north a bit to stay out of the area traffic?
    Thinking I-81 to Hagerstown, then I-70, I-695, I-95 in...maybe?

TIA ~
    Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Thumbs up A picture is worth 1000 words

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    I still don't know how to successfully get a picture posted on here
    You need to post the picture somewhere else on the Internet first, and then link to that location. I like to use imgur.com because it's free.

Basically, if you are driving north on I95, you get off at the Route 279 exit, which is exit 109. Then follow route 279 north east until you get to the Holiday Inn. If you're staying at the BNB, keep going until you get to 277, and then take that left to get to the BNB.

If you are driving south on I95, you need to get off at state road 896, which is exit 1. Then you can either go south on 896 to go straight to the venue, or go north and wind your way over to route 277 to get to the hotel (or the BNB).

The key is that every day when you leave the hotel, you want to follow the PURPLE path shown on the map. This will avoid the $4 toll on I-95. The toll is due both ways, so this route will save you 8 bucks each day!

If you want to look at the map on your own computer, here's a link to Google Maps. Zoom out if you need to get your bearings first. (It's centered on the venue.)

Adam

Amazing... Yeah, what he said ^
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    It's been a LONG time since I traveled in that part of the world ~

I-81 out of East Tennessee ~
    Is it worthwhile heading north a bit to stay out of the area traffic?
    Thinking I-81 to Hagerstown, then I-70, I-695, I-95 in...maybe?

TIA ~
    Randy
    I run it frequently. And every year to and from SELEM. I don't personally go all the way to Hagerstown but you could. I just HATE I-81 because of boredom and can't wait to get off it. I think your route might actually be a bit longer but, it's all at highway speed.

About half the time, I take I-66 east to DC and the 495 beltway to 95 but, you then have to go through the Baltimore tunnel and... traffic can be dicey at the wrong time on the DC beltway. For a more scenic route, I really enjoy going a bit further north and get off on route 7 in Winchester and go east about 10 miles and take route 340 through Harpers Ferry and pick up I-70 in Frederick. Often going south, I'll do the DC beltway thing but coming home, I like to go through Harpers Ferry.
    PM Sent...

$8 a day nothing compared to what we're paying for our rental truck and insurance at least flights were reasonable
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com