Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed On What To Do With Old Ion Lasers and PCAOM

Default Advice Needed On What To Do With Old Ion Lasers and PCAOM

I recently inherited a Coherent CR4 Ar/Kr mixed gas laser (newer tube) that does about 3W plus associated laser projector and all hookups, cables, etc.. I do not have any way of running it currently and really do not want to get into ion lasers. I also have a Omnichrome 532 and PSU without the umbilical and a few small HeNe lasers. I am mostly interested in finding all these items good homes where someone will use them. I get a bit nostalgic about these like I do about arcade games. I have a small interest in maybe building a projector with the Omnichrome, HeNe, and PCAOM however I think I just want to use the projectors I have and not have to tinker with these items. What do you all think? Is there anyone interested in these items? I did see that DZ recently came into possession of Lowell Cross's projector with a similar laser. Does it need a newer (probably) working laser?

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Bring it (them) to SELEM. It will find a home!
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    I recently inherited a Coherent CR4 Ar/Kr mixed gas laser (newer tube) that does about 3W plus associated laser projector and all hookups, cables, etc.. I do not have any way of running it currently and really do not want to get into ion lasers. I also have a Omnichrome 532 and PSU without the umbilical and a few small HeNe lasers. I am mostly interested in finding all these items good homes where someone will use them. I get a bit nostalgic about these like I do about arcade games. I have a small interest in maybe building a projector with the Omnichrome, HeNe, and PCAOM however I think I just want to use the projectors I have and not have to tinker with these items. What do you all think? Is there anyone interested in these items? I did see that DZ recently came into possession of Lowell Cross's projector with a similar laser. Does it need a newer (probably) working laser?
    I salute you for not being like me and thinking you have to fix up everything that comes your way. I need to get rid of a lot of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradfo69 View Post
    Bring it (them) to SELEM. It will find a home!
    I would like to bring them to SELEM. This is what I had been planning however I am out of vacation days and this year, unfortunately, SELEM is not on a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    I salute you for not being like me and thinking you have to fix up everything that comes your way. I need to get rid of a lot of stuff.
    The instinct is there. I have been looking at small air cooled mixed gas lasers however I think I really need to do what I set out to do when I first saw a laser show and that is to just make laser shows. The community doesn't have enough of those around.

Hi,

I also have the bad habit of feeling the need to fix and "save" every laser thingy I come across.

I'd be interested in the HeNe's. Are the HeNe's bare tubes or tubes in aluminum heads? I have a small collection (28) of High End Systems' Laser Chorus that I have been restoring over the last few years and many of them need HeNe tubes to replace the 5mw diodes I put in them.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Eric in New Orleans

Hi Eric,

They are the HeNe's are in aluminum tubes. I have the power supplies for them too. I think they both work however I need to check. I figured those would probably be the easiest to find a home for. I need to wait and see if anyone is interested in the ion lasers first though.

Thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Hi Eric,

They are the HeNe's are in aluminum tubes. I have the power supplies for them too. I think they both work however I need to check. I figured those would probably be the easiest to find a home for. I need to wait and see if anyone is interested in the ion lasers first though.

Thanks,
    Chris
    you have any amplitude stabilized polarized hene let me know. 200-500uw is plenty.

I do not believe the 2 that I have are amplitude stabilized. I think one of them at least is polarized. They are about 5 to 10mW.

I am most interested in finding a home for the Coherent Ar/Kr laser. I have everything but the 3 phase power to run it. Does anyone need or want one of those?