Thread: Realtime Graphics + Lasers: what options are out there?

Default Realtime Graphics + Lasers: what options are out there?

Hey there,

I’ve got a lot of experience programming real-time graphics and I’ve been finding myself more and more laser-curious lately. I’m wondering what some of the best options out there for writing generative visual software that runs on a laser projector.

I have some experience in the past using OpenFrameworks so ofxLaser appears to be a pretty robust option with a lot of great features (3D transformations, occlusion, SVG), though I’m a bit wary of diving back into C++.

What are some other frameworks out there that might be worth looking into? It would be great to use something that would support rapidly iterating on a screen without needing to send it on to a laser. Javascript might be the ideal language and I see that there is ilda.js, but something that also contains a drawing API (similar to ofxLaser) would help a lot too.

Thanks for any insight!

-A

How would you describe your desired work flow?

What exactly are you trying to do?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Have you looked into TouchDesigner? It is a node-based powerhouse for real-time generative graphics and has compatibility with a few DACs, Helios being one. I would definitely look into it if you haven't already!

https://derivative.ca/