Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First post, keen to get acquainted to everyone here!

Default First post, keen to get acquainted to everyone here!

Hi all,

Some of you may know me from the Pangolin Facebook group. Thought it would be good to start posting here too I'm a beginner laserist from Sydney, Australia. Due to lockdown I'm currently just programming shows and learning the ropes, and hopefully once the COVID situation lifts a bit I'll be able to go out and show what I've learnt. Keen to meet you all!

Welcome to PhotonLexicon! Always nice to see new folks.

Quote Originally Posted by pewtifal View Post
    I'm currently just programming shows and learning the ropes
    What software are you using to create your shows? And are you primarily focused on beam shows, graphics shows, abstracts, or a little bit of everything?

Adam

Hi Adam

I'm programming using Quickshow at the present time. I'm mostly just focusing on beam shows - I've messed around with laser mapping as well, and definitely want to try some graphics/abstract shows as well! Also interested in lumia effects, but, one at a time! I've uploaded some shows on my channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH...aBXsmTMA6SXTyA

Kind regards,
    Victor

Nice work, Victor!

I'm impressed with the beam quality - were all of those videos shot using the Unity Raw 3 projector(s)?

I also liked the rolling shutter effects in the Shelter show. Did you purposefully set out to sync that up to your camera, or was it just good fortune?

At a Florida Laser Enthusiast's Meeting (FLEM) back in 2017 we had just such good fortune while running one of Rupert Morse's shows on a QM-2000 with the output split to 7 projectors (Aldebaran Systems Advanced ILDA Router for the win). The rolling shutter effect can be seen throughout the entire clip, but it's most visible at around 55 seconds or so. We weren't trying to create the effect; we just got lucky.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMh9uYwFU0U

Adam

Yup, all of them were filmed with a Unity Raw 3, except for the multi-projector show, which a friend filmed using Kvant CMs and a Unity Elite Pro I believe.

The rolling shutter effect was done intentionally - I actually edited two takes together, one with a faster shutter speed in order to capture the effect. I spent a night playing around with scanner speeds and shutter speeds to figure out the effect. Definitely plan on doing it again in the future.

Thanks for the kind words! I would love to attend a laser meet as well but I don't think there are enough of us here down under.

There are a few Aussie members here, but not as many as we'd like, of course! Dave and Aiji from LaserShowParts.com both hail from down under, although I have no idea if they are anywhere near you or not. (Australia is a big place, after all!) We've also got a few members in New Zealand (Pitts comes to mind...) but again, that's not exactly close either.

Still, it sounds like you've got a friend in Brad Kellog, so that's at least one local laserist. And I'm sure there are others in the area too; you'll just need to figure out how to find them. Once you get a few folks together though, it's not hard to put a meeting together.

Adam

I'm pretty sure I know which Dave you're talking about - unfortunately he's about a 10 hour drive out from me. And Brad is actually from US haha, it's been hard to find people with the same interest local to me. There are of course laser operators where I live, working at nightclubs and the such but based on what I've seen, most of them mostly come from lighting backgrounds and don't know all too much about lasers, and I've seen some shocking instances of laser safety seeing that audience scanning effects are fairly common down here.

Hey Everyone,

Thought I'd make a post to introduce myself as a fellow Aussie. I've been on these forums quite often so I figured I was overdue to introduce myself.

I've been in the same position during the COVID lockdown so I stripped my older lasers, bought a bunch of parts and started building my own custom RGB laser.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Awesome to meet you! Haven't seen very many Aussie laserists, especially not so local. Would be great to be able to meet up sometime to show off our toys. I'm also currently researching the process of building my own laser, would love to see your progress and thought process in your build.

great to see you here as well victor!
    We talked before on facebook!
    Welcome!