Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ILDA file format

Default ILDA file format

Someone on here was asking about the ILDA file format so I emailed ILDA to ask about it. Here is the response:

-------------------------------------------------------------
    This document is available to ILDA Members in our Members-Only area. The latest version is Rev. 4.1, dated June 2006 (not a very big change from the previous version…)

For non-members, there is a charge of $25. This can be done via credit card or PayPal. There is an online page where you can make payment, at https://xlaserist.merchantquest.net/secure_payment.htm.

Hope this helps; if you need any more info, please write.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a member but I wouldn't mind taking a look at it. I'm not going to pay $25 for it, though. That's silly.

Thanks for that info.

Thanks. The PDF file is every helpful.

Hi Guys,

Just one quick note. If you have a document that discusses what we might call "Format 3" for RGB color extension, this method has been abandoned.

There is a new document currently in draft, that discusses "Format 4" and "Format 5". Unfortunately, some people in ILDA are REALLY SLOW at giving feedback and getting this document into the hands of people.

Let me see if I can accelerate this process...

Best regards,

William Benner

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post

I think this may go above and beyond "customer service"...

Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

They're actually still working with that file format? Why don't they just move to an XML format and put that ancient thing to bed? I can see where the tight binary format had its usefulness in the age of floppy disks but no longer.

Hi Gary,

If a minor revision takes fricken five years to get through, imagine how long it will take to create a whole new format?

Really that's the problem with doing things "by committee". I have served on many committees, and also worked on several standards, including SCSI and ATAPI. It's always the same thing. Basically egos get in the way of productivity. Don't even get me started with why the ILDA Test Pattern is as complicated as it is...

Best regards,

William Benner

Quote Originally Posted by Pangolin View Post
    Hi Guys,

Just one quick note. If you have a document that discusses what we might call "Format 3" for RGB color extension, this method has been abandoned.

There is a new document currently in draft, that discusses "Format 4" and "Format 5". Unfortunately, some people in ILDA are REALLY SLOW at giving feedback and getting this document into the hands of people.

Best regards,

William Benner
    Wow, just finished implementing reading and writing format 3 color information.....
    Bill, could you let us have a peek at what format 4 and 5 will bring us? And will format 3 be supported for backward compatibility or completely abandonned? Some standard...

cheers