Thread: (: OFF TOXIC :)

Default (: OFF TOXIC :)

Not toxic, off topic, but a thing of beauty; the Novus Varia RYG surgical laser. My favorite laser, found on ebay, I marked up the photo to show what is going on.

Rated max. pulsed output power:

G: 532 @ 1.5 W
    Y: 561 @ 600 mw
    R: 659 @ 600 mw

I have three of these babies, planning on converting the 532 and 659 sections of one unit to OC only 1064 and 1319 nm to SFG 589 nm yellow Of course, pushing the power harder.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8 Novus Varia Tri Color Laser Cavity WP.jpg  

Last edited by Laser57; 10-28-2021 at 10:18.
    Glowing green eyes is a camera photoflash reflection.

Why did you post this in the toxic waste dump? This laser is awesome! I would have put this in "Lasers, all kinds".

I'm a little confused though. You said this was a surgical laser, right? It seems that the output power levels are really low for surgical applications, at least compared to all the other surgical lasers I've seen in the past. Are those maybe the average power ratings, with the peak pulse power being much higher? I just don't see what good 600 mw of red or yellow would do you in a surgical application...

Adam

It was just a flippant post to put it in the toxic waste dump, shining a bit of coherent light into the darkness of this hellish level

I should have said more about the laser, it is for eye photocoagulation treatment which is commonly recommended for patients who suffer from eye disorders such as diabetic retinopathy. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word surgery, but I have heard of doctors poking holes inside layers of the eye which would be surgery, using a laser to allow fluids to properly drain, but I don't beleive they do so with these wavelengths. Maybe using a laser in the eye at any wavelength for any kind of treatment is considered eye surgery, don't know.
    Last edited by Laser57; 11-01-2021 at 05:47.

Ah... Ok, that makes sense. Retinopathy treatment with a laser would not require much power at all. (Given how small retinal blood vessels are to start with!) And yeah, I agree that laser eye surgery is still surgery.

It's just that when I hear "surgical laser", my mind immediately jumps to either a Laserscope, an HGM, or a Trimedyne.

Adam

Yea, my go to would have been a more powerful laser too, except I already have one of these and know how low the power can be. Only takes a few tens of mw when focused down to a point on the sensitive tissues in the eye.

Laser Warning voici une version de 60W RGB à vendre 9800 euro

Quote Originally Posted by Laser57 View Post
    Oui, mon choix aurait également été un laser plus puissant, sauf que j'en ai déjà un et que je sais à quel point la puissance peut être faible. Ne prend que quelques dizaines de mw lorsqu'il est concentré jusqu'à un point sur les tissus sensibles de l'œil.
    voici une version de 60W RGB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1030724.JPG  

P1030713.JPG  

Mmmm. Things of beauty.

The Jenoptik is like heaven.

Thanks for sharing both the Novus and the Jena.