Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reducing Flicker in Beyond Using Settings.

Hi Steve,

Just one note. That system has 3 separate tunings. Tuning 1 is 24K. Tuning 2 is 30K. Tuning 3 is 36K.

When you shipped the system to us for mirror replacement, Tuning 1 was selected, so it was returned in that condition.

Although sometimes there is a sacrifice (optimizing for speed sometimes sacrifices wide-angle performance) I think the 30K setting should work well. Anyway, the great thing about our system is that you can switch between tunes at any time, virtually instantly, using the PC-based software.

Best regards,

William R. Benner, Jr.
    President & CTO
    Pangolin Laser Systems, Inc.
    1265 Upsala Road, Suite 1165
    Sanford, FL 32771 - USA
    Office: +1-407-299-2088
    Web: www.pangolin.com

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    I like the idea of a tuning switch just under the projector lid.
    I have the Turbotracks with switchable tuning. It is great feature if used properly.
    Thanks for that tip.

Bill B. is looking at my miniscule document issue. Again, just a little numbering scheme thing, not a problem. It is probably not Pangolin's fault, but the two different documents from the connector manufacturer are undecipherable. Pin one is marked of course, but the pin order can be indeterminate in the connector maker's documents. As Pangolin supplies a cable for the scanner input, most folks will never even notice this. I'm just the type that checks Everything, and I mean Everything.

Steve
    Tuning buttons are not included and wired.
    you can populate a connector on the machdsp with 2 wires with a button and wire it to the back of your case.

bill hit the nail on the head.
    Just because you have higher speeds doesn't mean you should run them

I think in the field angle is something people often push more then they should on most galvos as underestimating is often a common factor in the field.. galvos sadly don't have a burst or allow for overestimation of angles.
    So large angle performance is often the most valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by masterpj View Post
    That means the galvo is tuned for a higher scanrate and is ran at a lower scanspeed or is not tuned correctly.
    Which is what lots of people do, unfortunately.

Steve was one of the few people here on the forum who knew how to modify the old Kvant "red" analog scanner amp boards so they would function with the 506 scanners, back in the days before the DSP amp was available. I initially assumed that's what he was running.

Quite a few of those modified analog amps were tuned for 40K or higher. In fact, we tested some 506s with the modified Kvant amps at a FLEM years ago and found that they could easily handle the ILDA test pattern at over 40K and 8 degrees without breaking a sweat. (My memory is fuzzy, but I think we were able to push them to a max of something like 43K or so, while still maintaining 8 degrees on the test pattern. Damned impressive, no matter the actual value.)

Anyway, looking back at Steve's original post, I see that the projector he has now is running a full set of 506s with the DSP scanner amps, not the modified Kvant amps. And of course, with the DSP amp, manual tuning is a thing of the past; now you just click the mouse to select the speed you want. So assuming that you've selected the 30K speed preset, the 506s should properly display any ILDA frame that has pulled-points and was designed for 30K speeds.

But before the DSP amp, lots of people who had 506s (with the modified analog amps) would tune them faster, just because they could. (Just as the people buying DT-40s or Scan-Pro 40s used to do.) So if you're tuned for 40K, then any art that relies on the point-averaging you'd get from running at 30K is going to look bad, because you won't be averaging those pulled points - you'll be getting close to actually hitting them.

This ties in to your second point: "Just because you have higher speeds doesn't mean you should run them." And I completely agree with this. I'd rather have the wider scan angle.

Adam

the thing is as well that overscanning at a higher speed actually results in diminished performance.. because you have to over compensate.
    Actually these days most 30kpps galvos are actually quite close if not spot on on their tuning.. the only thing that can hurt you is an incorrect color shift setting or just going way too large.. but its easy to counter if you do things based on per project basis.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

In the process of fitting everything into the existing projector , I had to bury the access to the 1/8th inch Serial connector. It is 3/16ths inch from the laser head. I'll take a piece of heatsink stock and mill it into a temporary mount for the amp. Just to contain the silver paste when it is out. I never even thought that I would ever need to access it. It's right under the top lid. Two security screws are holding it in. Unlike my analog systems where everything analog is accessible for tuning.

Demo show went off without a hitch or glitch anyways. Floor to ceiling with a 21 foot throw. Absolutely beautiful.

Only adverse comment was that I did not have enough of Jay Heck's funnier kid shows. I have a feeling "Purple People Eater" will be on the Christmas play list no matter what.

I'll bring out the TTL input ports to a set of well isolated switches for switcihiing speeds.

I have to get started on programing Graphics for "Mary did you know", probably the Kathy Mattia version, not the Zara version.

One would have never thought it, but the Cee Lo version is amazing.

The warping scrolling text running the length of the building was requested. That software feature was a jaw dropper moment.

So many new things to learn. So little time.

Fiber corrected diode gives small frame Ion like performance.

I hopped out of the car, popped open the road case, fired up Beyond and was good to go in 5 minutes. On 120 VAC.

So its Mach Dsp with a Goldenstar 5 Watt RGB in a repurposed and modified never used Able 3000 Aurora case.

Beam projectors will be two Kvant OEM Heads in dual Image Engineering graphics projectors running Analog Scannermax 506.

A 10 position ultra compact Image Engineering beam rail may just show up too. Fred Fenning was a Genius, no doubt.

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 11-11-2021 at 09:34.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...