Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5mW laser pointers : green ,blue and red .

Quote Originally Posted by carmangary View Post
    Aren't all lasers bad for the eyes?
    What's funny is the so-called eye-safe lasers, with wavelengths too long to penetrate the cornea. Great, they'll just burn the cornea instead. So that's alright then. Ò^O

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    What's funny is the so-called eye-safe lasers, with wavelengths too long to penetrate the cornea. Great, they'll just burn the cornea instead. So that's alright then. Ò^O
    Well it makes sense when the laser is powerful enough to burn the retina when focussed by the eye's lens but not powerful enough to burn the cornea unfocussed.

Laser rangefiners are a very important instrument in the modern battlefield and those lasers are supposed to be safe. However then the powers are too low for realy accurate readings (and wavelengths too long?) so in order to hit anything on target you really need unsafe lasers. I heard that the convention is (don't know where it is written) that you may ONLY use unsafe laser to get the range to the target when you have the intention of killing it. You are NOT allowed to use the range finder to potentially blind your target without the intention of killing it!

Always thought that was kind of funny....

Question

Hmmmm, blind or dead? Rough choices huh?

I have a question:
    I know that the easiest way to test the IR led of a remote control is to watch it using a videocamera.
    Does anybody ever tried to use a videocamera to compare a laser with or without an IR filter mounted?
    If the differencies are vell detectable, it might be very handy for peoples (like me) without specific instruments, to avoid unnecessary risks.

Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by Pitopito View Post
    I have a question:
    I know that the easiest way to test the IR led of a remote control is to watch it using a videocamera.
    Does anybody ever tried to use a videocamera to compare a laser with or without an IR filter mounted?
    If the differencies are vell detectable, it might be very handy for peoples (like me) without specific instruments, to avoid unnecessary risks.

Luciano
    don't know if that will work,but if you try it just be sure none of the actual,coherent laser beam gets into the camera.
    it will damage the camera.
    this also applies with digital projectors.

Lightbulb

I have used the "night shot" feature on my video camera to see the IR from my TTL green with no IR filter. I have some pictures here somewhere on the board... I'll see if I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitopito View Post
    I have a question:
    Pitopito;

You might enjoy reading this thread from last year. Pay particular attention to Weak Station's solution to protecting his eyes from IR while still being able to see. It sounds goofy, but I'm sure it worked quite well.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    Agreed !!! I honestly believe you are lying when you say that. You should actively tell people that your lasers are bad for their eyes . That would be like having a gun without a safety and only telling people if they ask. You obviously don't care about your customers. Is it too much to ask to have you put a 35 cent filter in your lasers?
    Our engineers told me that , we don't make filters for red lasers , but we do make filters for green or blue laser higher than 5mW . May you pls recommand someone who can review laser pointers ? We will send some samples to him . Thanks a lot .

You should especially make filters for the <5 mW pointers. By law, almost everywhere, a laser pointer is defined to output less than five milliwatts of visible light, NO exceptions. That means you must filter IR and regulate the visible output power. This is more demanding than the needs for OEM and lab lasers, where specs depend on what is wanted, not on what is law.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by anewstone View Post
    May you pls recommand someone who can review laser pointers ? We will send some samples to him . Thanks a lot .
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Ben View Post
    If you believe what you have are filtered, I can test that for you, I have an Ocean Optics USB4000 Spectrometer. I would be happy to test the output for you and provide results you could give to your customers.

There is also a nice fella over on Candelpowerforums, "The LED Museum". He has a whole web site devoted to doing reviews on lasers, laser pointers, LEDs, and flashlights. Very professional reivews...