Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob questions

Default Noob questions

I have this "mini laser stage lighting" setup (Item NW-S-D03 if that means anything) and I just need to make it write the text I want it to write. It has an SD card and it uses ILDA files. I was wondering if there are any stock template files out there that let you do text, or if I need to learn to code just to accomplish this?

Also, if this setup ends up being weaker than what I need, are there any starter sets out there that are recommended? I have a green laser pointer which I'm sure is bright enough, so are there any scanners that let you use a laser pointer with them, or do you pretty much just get the whole setup at once?

Thanks for any information.

You need LaserBoy to do this.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I agree. I have used LaserBoy to accomplish a variety of specialized tasks and James has always helped me find a way to do what I need with LaserBoy.

I'm still working on the code to allow me to time travel.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Need is the wrong term here. You can user Laserboy but there is other free software out there that will do the same task but a bit easier learning curve.

Norm's Laser show. Very, almost painfully, basic but free and with a gui and simple frame editor. It also has a fun little harmonograph generator: https://ctrnd.com/NormLaserShow/Downloads.htm
    Laserworld has a little more powerful show editor. Still pretty basic but it gets the job done. https://www.showeditor.com/en

Those are some examples. There are free software options out there. Just sayin, there isn't just one.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

It's current, kept up to date, comes with 12 vector fonts and has tech support.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

I keep forgetting about ILD Render! It looks like a really great utility.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Had a gander at Showeditor and the 1st thing that caught my eye is that it supports up to 16 projectors. But, didn't see a list of compatible ILDA DACs. That led me to a link to Lasergraph DSP, which led to this ILD Render + Lasergraph DSP video.
    I noticed the ease of installation, wide array of compatible DACs, full featured GUI, and simple process for ILDA conversion from 3D Blender graphics.
    This appears to cover the majority of obstacles for generating animated wireframe laser graphics... exactly the functionality that I plan to add to my T4 Laser Synth.
    Thanks!
    😎
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Had a gander at Showeditor and the 1st thing that caught my eye is that it supports up to 16 projectors. But, didn't see a list of compatible ILDA DACs. That led me to a link to Lasergraph DSP, which led to this ILD Render + Lasergraph DSP video.
    I noticed the ease of installation, wide array of compatible DACs, full featured GUI, and simple process for ILDA conversion from 3D Blender graphics.
    This appears to cover the majority of obstacles for generating animated wireframe laser graphics... exactly the functionality that I plan to add to my T4 Laser Synth.
    Thanks!
    😎
    Any time! It is recognized that the free options are not of abundance and the abilities of said software is limited but there are options! Finding a good player with live controls via midi or DMX input is where the pickins' get slim. It's primarily the reason I use Pangolin Beyond. I generate abstracts with the base harmonics I am looking for and then map attributes of the abstract to my midi console so I can "play" it live. I'll map AM, FM, along with color mods and other modulators to my midi controller within about 2~3hz +/- of the base harmonic so I can change it in real-time along with the music without generating hash. It keeps me locked in the Pangolin sphere but I wouldn't be able to share my files anyway since all a person would get would be the base abstract. They would have no way to "Play" it live anyway. So, I'm okay locked in their bubble.

Anyway, I don't want to hijack a thread about text to ild.

Plus it is a direct answer to the question of the OP.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

There is also OLA... you can convert Inkscape SVGs to ilda. That would include text, as well.

https://photonlexicon.com/forums/sho...version-proggy