Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lessons

Only problem with laser tech and apple computers is over the years the entry price for becoming a designer has increased dramatically which in turn has dropped the percentage of talented people who have opportunity and desire to do it.

On an original Apple II you could program it without any add on software or hardware - ZERO. Also the hardware was entirely open architecture.

Now it requires special software to program a Mac and Apple tries very hard to create a computer version of the toaster - you get a closed box that you can't even change the memory or hard drive on.

Laser software and design is similar, in that the top notch software to produce an impressive show for the public is in the thousands of dollars (Beyond).
    Custom build - 1 watt rgb laser projector - saturn scanners, 6 single-mode diodes
    Kvant - Clubmax 1800
    Pangolin Beyond, LSX, Maxwell, Laserdock, Etherdream, Prototype Apple II Laser DAC
    Various Pointers and Lab lasers along w/Diodes, Arrays, OPSL, DPSS, HeNe and Argons.
    Lasos Air Cooled Argon w/plexiglass covered glass bell
    SP-127

Quote Originally Posted by icecruncher View Post
    Laser software and design is similar, in that the top notch software to produce an impressive show for the public is in the thousands of dollars (Beyond).
    Impressive in what way? If you want to see something you've never seen before, it's not coming from a commercial product. It's coming from an original idea implemented in a unique way.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Impressive in what way? If you want to see something you've never seen before, it's not coming from a commercial product. It's coming from an original idea implemented in a unique way.
    Ideas are not original. You are always building on someone else's work, in one way or another. be it the math or the research or ...

To have sliced bread, you need to have bread.

Eccl 1:9 - "there is nothing new under the sun."
    Custom build - 1 watt rgb laser projector - saturn scanners, 6 single-mode diodes
    Kvant - Clubmax 1800
    Pangolin Beyond, LSX, Maxwell, Laserdock, Etherdream, Prototype Apple II Laser DAC
    Various Pointers and Lab lasers along w/Diodes, Arrays, OPSL, DPSS, HeNe and Argons.
    Lasos Air Cooled Argon w/plexiglass covered glass bell
    SP-127

Eccl 1:9 - "there is nothing new under the sun."
    I wonder if Roger knew this.

I go with the idea that aptitude and talent are the same thing, and the key to being great at something is being interested enough in it to do it all the time. Each time one tries to do something and following sleep, one's ability will have improved, and all those tiny improvements add up. Put well in this lyric by Joe Raposo around 1970:

The deepest pride you'll feel inside
    is doing all the things you've tried
    Until you see what you've become
    And dreamed you'd be
    From so much trying
    So much trying
    So much trying

If we're considering audiences and joysticks,
    Best recording of Cymbaline with audience reaction:

Cymbaline is the number performed by Floyd in 1970 where Wright would perform a footsteps and creaking doors number using a joystick and an immense quad sound system.

Listen beginning 1:33:20, the music produces a dreamlike quality, and the footsteps appear. In this version the full audience response is heard, and a clearer picture of what was really going on, and what people were laughing at, emerges. The re-entry of the music after the sound effects is spectacular.

PINK FLOYD 6th November 1971 Emerson Gym, Cleveland, Ohio
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyUm4XlVRFw

Regarding an earlier point, a paying occupation that is an exciting adventure every day and doesn't become a boring grind even after years is a rare and worthy thing to find.

Ideas are not original. You are always building on someone else's work, in one way or another. be it the math or the research or ...To have sliced bread, you need to have bread.Eccl 1:9 - "there is nothing new under the sun."
    As an artist myself, I'm going to strongly disagree with you on this one. We might not be thinking about the same things. You guys are concentrating on live performances. I'm thinking about my work in software and the art that it makes. I started with an implementation of the ilda file format. But what I've done with it is completely original and without any other examples. Other people worked with me who wanted it to do something specific, but I have never copied other code. I make very little use of lib SDL. I don't use any other libs. Like was said above. I've been working in this space for 40 years; not lasers but computer graphics programming, art and ways to make it; over 18 years in laser. LaserBoy Liquid Math and Animated Vector Font Rendering are about as original as it gets and those are just two things that are easily identified.

Someone has to know how to make a clock.

Last edited by james; 12-11-2021 at 08:50.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    As an artist myself, I'm going to strongly disagree with you on this one. We might not be thinking about the same things. You guys are concentrating on live performances. I'm thinking about my work in software and the art that it makes. I started with an implementation of the ilda file format. But what I've done with it is completely original and without any other examples. Other people worked with me who wanted it to do something specific, but I have never copied other code. I make very little use of lib SDL. I don't use any other libs. Like was said above. I've been working in this space for 40 years; not lasers but computer graphics programming, art and ways to make it; over 18 years in laser. LaserBoy Liquid Math and Animated Vector Font Rendering are about as original as it gets and those are just two things that are easily identified.

Someone has to know how to make a clock.

Maybe what they are saying is that you've repackaged something that may provide a unique "tool" but that is based on the pre-existing.
    And you accomplishments are noteworthy and to be congratulated, but...

i.e. vector math - not new
    i.e. animated font rendering - not new
    i.e. animated vector graphics - not new

Everything that is old is new again.

Boy, waxing poetically is fun!

I'm not pursuing this line strictly for self aggrandizing. There are lots of people who introduce new ideas into the world all the time.

Math isn't new. Numbers aren't new.

But methods, algorithms, data structures, solutions to achieve resolution are very new.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Even in the most general terms, making a tool is most definitely art, especially if it is used to make art.

Consider the guy who makes the tools used by the guy who makes musical instruments for the people who play the music written on the paper.

I enjoy completing a new work of digital art. I also really enjoy the fact that I have a tool that allows me to make much more and others can also use it. In a way it's a chance to allow others to experience how I think. That's about as art as it gets.
    Last edited by james; 12-11-2021 at 17:52.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Default Bananas

You want art? Here it is.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/banan...b0913e6f8fd0b8

Damn, I wish I had thought of that first. I could have used the money...

BTW that pop tart kitty sold for $590K.

I can see why. It is awesome.
    Last edited by james; 12-11-2021 at 20:46.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials