Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pure Vintage

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    I had a datasette for my Commodore back in the day, but a floppy drive was way beyond my budget back then.

The ZX81 allowed you to use any old cheap cassette recorder for data storage.
    I remember I got my C=64 from Children's Palace for $199.95. It came out at $600, I think and dropped to $400 soon after that. So $200 was a solid deal.

I ordered peripherals through the mail from the big mail order electronics vendors. I think it was J&R Music World.

I got a floppy drive, but the case was obviously cracked and a piece of plastic was missing.

I sent it back. I never got a replacement. I never got a printer. I did get the nice 1701 monitor.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

... in Germany it was then more expensive -- got my C-64 as price-reduced "christmas-special"-remnant for 650DM (instead of 850) ... all the other parts by time (and some money-gaining through vacation part-time-jobs).

With time passing there were some more computers - C-128, Atari-ST260, -ST520, ST1040, MegaST, -ST2, ST4 (20MB HD's then for around 1000DM, shortly after two 70MB HD's for half the money) ... modified most of them heavily for more RAM/EPROM and Firmware/BIOS/TOS-variants ... then the "PC-emulator" for the Atari with a 8086-compatible Chip from NEC (V20 ?) through DMA-port (got AUTOCAD 4.5(?) running "native" on it! - did some 3D-sketching for blue/red 3D-stereo Anaglyphs) ... then the first 80286 PC's with math. coprocessors ... and so on ... and so on ... my diploma thesis was meant around high-counts Transputer-grids for field- and particle-beams simulation on an Atari ATW (=Atari Transputer Workstation), but never got one, so simulated this on several connected AtariST's/MegaST's

And now -- even a Jetson Nano for slightly less than 100 bucks has much more calculation/simultion power, than most of the super-computers then ... have two of the Nanos for private use and a third one and two more powerfull Jetson Xavier NX for my day-job ... used for programming highspeed 3D-position-detection and targeting of free flying moskitos to shoot them down

Viktor
    Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?426
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

I had the TI99-4A. Tossed a few years back. I found my Apple IIe 300 baud modem a while back when cleaning up. Very bssic programming hihi

Anyone remember the that’s all folks virus that would play the tune with the hard drive right before driving the head into the drive.
    Last edited by kecked; 01-14-2022 at 03:47.

... luckily managed to avoid all the "mortal" virusses ... only 2 times needs to clean a computer (both with Windows ) ...

Viktor
    Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - https://reprap.org/forum/list.php?425

Quote Originally Posted by kecked View Post
    I had the TI99-4A
    I used to ride my 10 speed to K-mart and play with the demo in the store for hours. I actually wrote my first BASIC program on that. It had a speech synthesizer that could read text. That was pretty cool.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

... then my friends and me too liked to "hack" the computers in the computer-shops show-rooms to do some funny (and weird) stuff, like crazy colour-switching or other "interesting" tasks, we prepared or downladed elsewhere ... but on an exhibition, when doing the same, I've accindentallly managed to break a pretty long download-transmission, one of the booth-guys had running -- got some serious words! ... wasn't so funny for him, to restart the transmission again after over an hour to get the needed data from home ... after then I was more cautios next times

Viktor

I met the TI rep in the store a few times. He used my ridiculously simple BASIC programs to demonstrate it to other people.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials