Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing ILDAC-32 - an ESP-32 based DAC for ILDA projectors

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.

So many things to like about the ILDAC-32:

Self-contained
    USB 5V powered
    Wireless control from phone with a simple interface
    ILDA and 8ch wav file playback with stereo sound
    SD card for mass storage
    Something about uploading your own code to control the hardware using C++/Platform.io (I'm curious about that)
    Lumia features
    No need to know anything about the OS it uses

And a lot more stuff I've probably missed

And it's all in one gadget about the size of a pack of cigarettes. Oh, and I think the idea of including the PL FTP ILDA library
    is a great bonus. I'd be happy to own one, if only I had a decent projector. I think you have a winner, Hank!

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post

Not all ilda frames have dwell or span points.
    James, I think you're the only one on the planet that produces minimized ild files like it was just another CAD file format.
    Have you even looked at the vast ILDA content on PL FTP? You might want to consider an optimize to ILDA file option on your next
    LB release.

What?

It has always been the case that ilda files can be saved fully optimized with whatever parameters you want. That's how it's possible to make files for SD card readers.

You know as well as anyone that there are no standards for optimization or any way to store any kind of information about them in the ilda format. It's just colors and vectors within frames.
    Last edited by james; 05-30-2022 at 22:02.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

What?

It has always been the case that ilda files can be saved fully optimized with whatever parameters you want. That how it's possible to make files for SD card readers.

You know as well as anyone that there are no standards for optimization or any way to store any kind of information about them in the ilda format. It's just colors and vectors.
    You just need to clock stuff out at a reasonable scan rate and provide an adjustable runtime blank delay for the colors to a DAC. And if you want to go deluxe, add a variable repeat frames option to slow down animation.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post

I've been playing literally thousands of the ILDA files in the PL FTP repository, and I've never had a problem displaying them.
    Obviously, many others have found a way to deal with this.

If you want to put together a collection of frame sets that all look consistent and as good as possible on any given projector, having the ability to optimize all of it with the same parameters is quite useful. It doesn't matter if it's ilda or wave.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

What?

It has always been the case that ilda files can be saved fully optimized with whatever parameters you want. That how it's possible to make files for SD card readers.
    Are you talking about the 'chil' (Chinese laser) effect in LB that busts everything down to TTL color?

If you want to put together a collection of frame sets that all look consistent and as good as possible on any given projector, having the ability to optimize all of it with the same parameters is quite useful. It doesn't matter if it's ilda or wave.
    What does this have to do with the ILDAC-32?

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    Are you talking about the 'chil' (Chinese laser) effect in LB that busts everything down to TTL color?
    That's a specific short cut for SD card readers that are just TTL color. Anything else is possible as well.

The fact that I'm in the 19th year of working on this project and you've been there through the whole process and even developed your own project with compatible concepts and you don't know that is kinda mind blowing.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

What does this have to do with the ILDAC-32?
    It plays both ilda and wav files and anyone who gets one would find a whole lot of utility in LB for making files for it that look really good.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

That's a specific short cut for SD card readers that are just TTL color. Anything else is possible as well.

The fact that I'm in the 19th year of working on this project and you've been there through the whole process and even developed your own project with compatible concepts and you don't know that is kinda mind blowing.
    OK then, let's give Hank credit for his great work as he has credited many others for their input.

OK, now back to our regularly scheduled programming.
    So many things to like about the ILDAC-32:
    Thank you!
    And if you want to go deluxe, add a variable repeat frames option to slow down animation.
    That's exactly what ILDAC-32 does to slow down the ILDA animations. You can select how many times you want each frame to repeat. It's called "Frame Delay" on the web interface.

It plays both ilda and wav files and anyone who gets one would find a whole lot of utility in LB for making files for it that look really good.
    If you only started with this assertion, I think the conversation would have gone a lot better! Thanks for your input and feedback.