Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing ILDAC-32 - an ESP-32 based DAC for ILDA projectors

Hi folks,
    I've been busy at work with ILDAC-32-WAV which is now complete!
    It's the same ILDAC-32 as above, but with an additional DAC for stereo audio output so it can now play 8-channel WAV files.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3535.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	58889

Name:	IMG_3536.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	58890

I've spent a lot of time optimizing the code to smoothly play any 8 channel, 16-bit WAV file at any bitrate up to 48kHz.

Below are two sample videos showing the ILDAC-32-WAV playing WAV content. Remember, ILDAC-32 and ILDAC-32-WAV units are entirely self-contained. No computer, software, or other DAC is used here. The WAV files are stored on an internal micro-SD card.

The laser projector is an X-LASER Mobile Beat Mirage. Videos captured with an iPhone using the native camera app.

This first video is a supercut of several clips of a live performance (with audio) on a Radiator by Swamidog. These were captured live with a WAVE-USB directly to 8-channel WAV files. I used Audacity to extract the best clips, and played them back on ILDAC-32-WAV.

https://youtu.be/YUMdzEKSdvo

This second video is Swamidog's LSX show "One of These Days" (used with permission) originally played in Beyond/FB3, captured with WAVE-USB to a WAV file, and then played back unedited on ILDAC-32-WAV:

https://youtu.be/8m-9P-y30sc

I've also updated my website for both ILDAC-32 (test patterns, beams and shapes and plays ILDA files), and ILDAC-32-WAV adds the ability to store and playback WAV files: https://ildac32.com

I'll be making another post on PL and Facebook tomorrow specifically for ILDAC-32-WAV.
    Last edited by HankLloydRight; 05-29-2022 at 02:07.

Wait a minute. What? Please explain the relationship between ILDA vector graphics and WAV.

I don't get it.

James.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    Wait a minute. What? Please explain the relationship between ILDA vector graphics and WAV.

I don't get it.

James.
    Is there such a thing as that???

I don't get it.
    James.
    There is no relationship. *see below

This is a compact device that can play both ILDA files and WAV files on demand. It’s your choice.

Like I mentioned above, this unit is entirely self contained. Just load up the files to the SD card which you want to project, then connect with either the built-in web server or the mobile app over Bluetooth to fully control the ILDAC-32 functions. See the multiple demo videos on my website.

EDIT: the relationship is actually both ILDA files and WAV files are simply long lists of X/Y points and RGB colors, just in different formats.
    Last edited by HankLloydRight; 05-29-2022 at 02:20.

Just out of curiosity, are you familiar with LaserBoy and what it can do?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

what's laserboy?
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    what's laserboy?
    Exactly.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Sure I do, but what does a clip-on laser spirit level have to do with projecting WAV files as laser shows?

https://www.bmi.de/en/products-laser...laserboy-2.php

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 6.31.53 AM.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	58893

J/K!!

Yes, I am very familiar with your Laserboy software, and that there's almost nothing it can't do. I think 50% of the posts on PL these days are people saying "how can I do X?" and you promptly responding "Laserboy can do that." I've even read your entire manifesto on ILDA formats back when I started this project last year and knew nothing about ILDA formats (or WAV for that matter).

But I haven't had the need for Laserboy to do any conversions (yet).

Also, from your website (which is down, BTW) to use Laserboy as a WAV player, one would need:
    -- A computer running Windows, MacOS, or Linux
    -- Laserboy software
    -- DC modified 8 channel sound card (modified how?)
    -- some outboard electronics (not sure what these are since your website is down right now)

Whereas with ILDAC-32, all you need is the ILDAC-32 unit and a cell phone.

Also, I forgot to mention, if anyone would like the original ILDAC-32 which does everything except play WAV files with Audio (they will play WAV files, just no audio output)...I have a few still available for $99 including U.S. shipping. Please see my webpage for ordering via paypal: https://ildac32.com

thanks.

Yes. I see the website is down. Thanks. It's up now.

Actually a Raspberry Pi + a USB sound device + a LaserBoy Correction Amp is all you need to do what your device does.

Well, I haven't written a remote control interface for it, so using a cell phone to control it would be a bit of a challenge, but VNC would make it accessible.

With that you would have 8 channels of 16 bit 48KHz DAC. It could also have an external HD for terabytes of show material.

You don't need LaserBoy to play wave files. You just need it to make them from ILDA, DXF or TXT.

But you can run LaserBoy on a Raspberry Pi!

I suspect your device has something similar to the LaserBoy Correction Amp. It adds a fixed offset null voltage to the output of every DAC channel and gives it enough gain to drive a laser projector.

The modification to the sound device is just to tack wires on the DAC side of the DC blocking caps.

http://laserboy.org/forum/index.php?topic=561.0

manifesto?

If you have written all the code to convert ILDA to wav with optimization and all that, you should consider including LaserBoy wave formatting data. It's some stuff added to the wav header and binary markers in the color channels, so a wav can be opened in LB or any other app that knows what to look for and you get your frames back with proper time / color alignment. This makes wav a fully functional storage format for laser vector art.
    Last edited by james; 05-30-2022 at 09:50.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials