Thread: Laserphonic Fantasy

mixedgas is online now Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

Laser Warning Laserphonic Fantasy

Is there a good clean track of Laserphonic Fantasy some place? I realize that 1984 was on the edge of the digital audio editing revolution. I
    am aware of the Youtube video but there has to be a WAV out there some place. I'm quite willing to buy a ligit album.

Thanks, Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-07-2022 at 18:58.
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...

Perhaps the name of the music was different from the name of the show?
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    Perhaps the name of the music was different from the name of the show?
    The composer is Don Dorsey.

Evidently there are two versions. One, which is all synth is on his album "Busted". I have a CD of "Busted" on order, but used. The other version, which I seek, was re-recorded in Abbey Road Studios, with a full Orchestra to upgrade the show a few years later. I find it hard to believe the House of Mouse never released the track on some Album. If you believe the fan page "Wiki".

Steve
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-08-2022 at 05:47.

Here we go:

Still don't want to rip it from Youtube, would like the real thing:

https://youtu.be/RQux4NaVkxQ

Steve

Default Classical Music Mashups

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    Thanks Steve. I love Mashups.

My older sister turned me on to this one based on classical pieces of music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DayjwRDcs44

GrantWoolard has a few, and they are very good.

Wink

At first I was afraid, i was petrified, that Hooked on Classics had been set aside. Then that Paganini Caprice told me I had got it wrong. So if you don't mind, I'm going back and listen to that song.

APOLOGIES to Gloria Gayner.

I didn't get at first. My sound mixing brain kept thinking why are two tracks overlapping, I need to mute a stray channel . Then first the "Broadway" section hit, a few tens of measures later I heard the Caprice.. it clicked at that point.

Grant is one highly skilled musician. That made my day after a long 12 hour day. Thank you for that.

My late father and I used to listen to both Hooked On Classics albums for hours on end. That track brought back great memories of a simpler time. Again, thanks.

Steve

Default And it has longer roots than I'd ever imagined

Quote Originally Posted by mixedgas View Post
    At first I was afraid, i was petrified, that Hooked on Classics had been set aside. Then that Paganini Caprice told me I had got it wrong. So if you don't mind, I'm going back and listen to that song.

APOLOGIES to Gloria Gayner.

I didn't get at first. My sound mixing brain kept thinking why are two tracks overlapping, I need to mute a stray channel . Then first the "Broadway" section hit, a few tens of measures later I heard the Caprice.. it clicked at that point.

Grant is one highly skilled musician. That made my day after a long 12 hour day. Thank you for that.

My late father and I used to listen to both Hooked On Classics albums for hours on end. That track brought back great memories of a simpler time. Again, thanks.

Steve
    I love Gayner and Hooked on Classics.

My remark to my sister went she sent me Grant's YouTube link was "Holy S**t!" when I first heard his 4th mashup. I'm glad it lent a good end to your day. It is both eye and ear popping good.

..and now for the commercial mashups (sorry), but even after seeing this it has put a lot of things in perspective than my piano teaching mother (rest her sole) no doubt wished I had learned long ago. The music note flash cards just couldn't be flipped and dropped that fast back then for optimal visual and aural effect, so my defense rests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENX0totqysA

Cool

I'm not a musician. But I can just sit at the console and mix nearly anything. I I'm told I have a "Golden" ear. I've mixed music for worship since 1984.

In my case the flashcards were for math, multiplication tables up to 13x13. I hated it. My math teacher told him to stop, but he persisted. However having a roughly 200 point look-up table stored in my brain since 6th grade was/is one heck of a workaround for having a learning disability in math. The next step was "Boxing the Compass" and calculating reciprocal bearings and wind drift by a Scout Master who cared. A gift from a teacher who was in the Submarine Service was a way of estimating target motion for small angles in your head. Known as Eklund range.. So between the three of them, I have magnitude, range and bearing in my head.

The high school desire to learn how laser abstracts work led to quadrature, Dad's boss sent home a tiny 3" oscilloscope and a note on using 1xR and 1xC plus a filament transformer to get a circle on the scope. That was the gift of phase.

Multiplication + angles + phase = vectors solves a heck of a lot of problems in this world for a mathematicaly challenged person.

I just forwarded that to a few amateur musicians, let's see if it scrambles their brains.

I have to go teach Confocal Microscopy in small group. Which is an amazing gift to pass on to future biologists. Its the only thing my current department let's me teach. I don't what I'm looking at besides the mitochondria and nucleus, but I sure as heck know how to image it. Getting the image takes about 60 steps, each of which has a transfer function that applies to the final image. The easiest way is to brief them, and then have them "fly" the console with some guidance.

I once had an HR person tell me Laserists make bad technicians and scientists. Oh what the heck did he know.

Grants stuff is an acquired taste, this weekend I'll go try his other mixes. Thanks for that....

* I might be a little "off" on the look up table number . 13 Factorial (13!) Is 6227020800 according to Google. So sill around 200 stored constants that I can factor with.

Steve.
    Last edited by mixedgas; 02-10-2022 at 06:19.