Thread: Information on 20W Quantronix Q-Mark Osprey Laser? Advice: low power 4W of rated 20W?

Laser Warning Information on 20W Quantronix Q-Mark Osprey Laser? Advice: low power 4W of rated 20W?

I recently acquired a Quantronix Q-Mark Osprey laser (1064-20-L 20W) on eBay, and managed to find a controller for it separately.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231223_124442495_HDR~2.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	60805

It's currently running at 4W of the rated 20W, and I was wondering if anyone had any information about these lasers so that I can look into fixing it / improving the output situation. I can't find much information on these at all. Mostly I just get the same sales brochure in my Google searches: https://www.gmp.ch/htmlarea/pdf/QMark-Osprey.pdf

Current State:
    It's currently working OK, but is only putting out ~4W (CW) @ 39.1A, 2.1V, 20.15C. The laser is rated for 20W (CW).

Controller Fun:
    The controller didn't power on, so I was given a refund for it and allowed to keep it; I was able to fix it after many hours of poking around. It looked brand-new with no dust, and I finally found that the controller's power distribution PCB had a missing switch component labeled "SW1". This component was needed to close a circuit to a relay to get the thing to actually power on. I think it's odd that this two-pin, through-hold location on the PCB was never populated; I can't think it was a manufacturing defect. This is strange.. Anyway. Then when I connected the laser head to the controller, it was driving the TEC in the wrong direction. So, I pulled a Star Trek maneuver and reversed the polarity (swapped the TEC lines), and it was finally able to settle down to it's 20C set point and lase.

Connectivity:
    I'm also wondering if anyone has any information on how to talk to the controller? The font panel will not let me set the laser diode temp, current, etc. I'm thinking maybe this has to be done externally, but I don't know the DB25 pinout / protocol. The RS232 will connect, but always just says "INVALID" when the enter key is pressed, so it's probably some non-text, proprietary interface. There's an RJ45 LAN port, so I'll be scanning that with "nmap" next. (Short write-up on my adventure so far: http://www.aaronvose.net/Quantronix_...ix_Osprey.html)

Does anyone here know anything at all about these lasers?
    Last edited by visaris7; 12-29-2023 at 14:59.

Default Repair by TJS Lasers

I found a place that says they can service the laser but want pictures of the stickers inside the laser head and of the diode bar to confirm:
    https://www.tjslasers.com/

I'm a little worried about opening the laser head here at home because I don't want to get dust inside and damage things. I always hear that a single speck of dust in a high-powered laser cavity like this can ruin the optics, etc. -- Any advice for opening this up to get pictures for TJS? Anyone here used TJS for a laser repair before?

Default Laser Cavity

Some images of the laser cavity attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails quantronix_osprey_cavity_labeled.jpg  

quantronix_osprey_cavity.jpg