Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The ultimate programming projector

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Agreed.

Although you'll pay a hefty premium for those Saturn scanners, and that's hard to justify when you're looking for a low-power projector that will only be used for programming.

What is the lowest-power projector you can buy these days that still has Saturn scanners? Anyone have an idea?

Adam
    cm2000 with ilda is the lowest cost and lowest power

pricing below is "msrp" as of march 28 2022

'cheapest way' to get saturns

unless you know a guy

or win selem drawing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cm2000.PNG 
Views:	8 
Size:	180.1 KB 
ID:	58758
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Go Saturn you’ll never look back

Yes I work with EO very closely and have become friends with multiple people on their team during our relationship. Those have silver mirrors that have shit reflectivity at blue (I've had a customer tell me 50% at 405nm after both mirrors), and tunings optimized for OCT / Microscopy / industrial applications. Typically don't want an integrating tuning for light show applications

I suppose a clever person can swap the mirrors and optimize the tunings for light show use if they desired

Who wants to play "Spot the FB3"? Which will soon be offered on their website as well...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2022-01-24 19.33.14.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	58763
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

And there are certainly a lot of clever people on this website
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Curve shows more than 92% reflectivity and who even uses 405nm anymore (for graphics not glow in the dark stuff)?

Silver should be good for >445. So that should not be a problem.

The tuning is digital. So I hope that Pangolin would offer easy way to change the PID / all other parameters with software.
    I would even hope that customer support would just send over a config file thats just a one click upload?
    That would be customer support.

-steph

Quote Originally Posted by rns0504 View Post
    cm2000 with ilda is the lowest cost and lowest power
    Cool. I didn't know you could get Saturns in the 2 W units. I figured the 3 Watt ClubMax would be the lowest point of entry. Good to know.

'cheapest way' to get saturns, unless you know a guy
    Fortunately, most of us here do know a guy who could not only get you some Saturn scanners, but would also integrate them into a custom projector for you. Sadly, that guy hasn't been building many projectors lately. (We're working on changing that though!)
    Of course, if someone *really* wanted a set of Saturn scanners, they could always offer to take a certain Pangolin engineer out to dinner... (wink!)

or win selem drawing
    Ayup! One of the best ways to get a set of Saturn scanners, in my opinion!

Speaking of SELEM, will you and Lyra be able to join us again this summer? What about Aaron?

Those have silver mirrors that have shit reflectivity at blue (I've had a customer tell me 50% at 405nm after both mirrors), and tunings optimized for OCT / Microscopy / industrial applications. Typically don't want an integrating tuning for light show applications
    I thought with the new DSP amps the end user could download a new tuning file and the amps would use that and some internal tests to tweak the amp settings so that they would be close to optimal performance, all without having to put them on the test bench again... Is that not the case?

I suppose a clever person can swap the mirrors and optimize the tunings for light show use if they desired
    I'm sure most of the crowd here would be OK swapping the mirrors.

Who wants to play "Spot the FB3"? Which will soon be offered on their website as well...
    Huh! Never would have thought to go to Edmund Optics to shop for a laser show controller! Crazy...

It's still not quite self tuning, but now we have several people on our team who are involved in tuning, to speed things up. Normally only a few small tweaks are needed to each system to get it out the door. We've been spending our extra development time on qualifying our scanners to -40C to 120C ambient for automotive applications.... for what it's worth, most competitors are room temp to 50C. Also a new servo driver.

Re:SELEM, I'll know more for myself later this year, I do have some conflicting events that week and have to see what I can move. Damn monster trucks and family vacations. Not sure yet on Aaron or Lyra plans.

Apparently the ScannerMAX demo at the EO booth at Photonics West was a big hit and they have quite a bit of interest in FB3 by their customers. I was also surprised!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Cool - please keep us in the loop regarding your travel plans, dude. Really hope you can join us again. (Would be great if all three of you could make it!)

Regarding the Mach-Mini amps and the "small tweaks" that you have to do before they go out the door: Presumably those tweaks are to set the specific rotor inertia and acceleration values, right? So, once those tweaks are done, does that enable the end user to simply download a new tuning parameter file at any time in the future and then switch scan speeds without any further adjustments (because the inertia and acceleration values are pre-programmed and assumed to be constant over the life of the scanners)? Or is there still some sort of tuning / tweaking that needs to be done each time you download a new parameter file? (Ignoring any actual changes in scanner performance due to wear and tear, which should be minimal...)

And a follow-up: I seem to recall Bill talking about a self-tuning ability for the DSP amp, perhaps using a simple utility program.?. Is that something that the end user can do, or is this only ever done on the bench at Pangolin? (Not talking about the initial tuning before the sale, but any tuning - or re-tuning - that might be done later.)

Adam