Thread: RGB module, red replacement, 14mm x 20mm diode mount things

Default RGB module, red replacement, 14mm x 20mm diode mount things

Heya!

I have some of those RGB all in one 500mw modules I got surplus. The reds are blown. I've been lazy, but as a weekend project decided to replace one of the reds. Have LPC-840.

The module has a block screwed to baseplate with a round diode holder in it secured with two set screws.

The diode holder has the laser diode in it, a lens on the front and the diode is held in by a brass round thing that has the straight screw thing. So it was put together with a special tool.

In trying to remove said screwed in ring that holds the diode down, I kinda trashed them. Soft brass, and it might have threadlock compound. One still has some hope but I have to make my own tool to remove these, nothing I have works. Security bit came close.

The round thing is 14mm on the outside, and about 20mm or so deep.

When I google diode mounts and checked my box of random laser parts, they are all 12mm

Anyone know a source for these stupid 12mm x 20mm things and the brass rings that go inside to hold the diode down?

I will post picture when I get home.

They're not worth that much it was more of a "Hope this won't take more than half an hour" .... yea....
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

Pic of the modules (inside.)

I wonder if they custom made the mounts?

https://imgur.com/a/kaHAWqo
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

14 mm diameter is definitely non-standard. Usually those round diode mounts are 12 mm (like the venerable Aixis mounts), but DTR also sells 20 mm, 25 mm, and 35 mm round diode holders. I've never seen 14 mm though.

Depending on how much time you want to spend on this, you could either buy a round 12 mm mount and try to shim and/or glue it into the existing 14 mm hole in the block, or rip the entire block out and replace it with a block that has a 12 mm hole. Beam height alignment might be tricky though, as most of the blocks that fit a 12 mm mount look to be a lot taller than the block in your picture.

The best option would be to purchase a 20 mm mount and have someone turn down the outside diameter to 14 mm on a lathe so it fits perfectly, but that seems like a lot of extra work for a 500 mw RGB module.

Adam