Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: SELEM 2022 Sign-up Thread

Ok, folks... I'm putting together the schedule of events for the week.
    If you have anything you want to present, or shows you want to play, please let me know ASAP what you would like to do, and approximately how much time you need.
    And if it's a presentation, or a laser show in the main auditorium or in Club SELEM.
    Thanks.

Ok, here's the draft/preliminary schedule -- obviously subject to change!

https://teamup.com/kstvdkv3y7azvmab4o

It's all web based, but there's a free TeamUp app which makes it easier to view.

If you have anything to get on the schedule, now's the time to let us know.

Thanks Hank!

Are there any plans or thoughts for having a how to session or 2 for actually making lasers shows? Maybe for Beyond, LSX, Spaghetti, LaserShowGen, etc.. I could use some of the basics for Beyond and LaserShowGen. We could have them impromptu or what not but being on the schedule is good too. Any thoughts? I know you fellows have ideas.

Also maybe we can have a make a show at SELEM and have a contest or just enjoy what wacky stuff we see? At the old Laser-FX meetups we could submit shows in a standard format (ADAT I think), we all watched them and voted to get a Brewster award. Maybe that's too formal.

You're welcome! But so far nobody has sent me any additional plans for shows or presentations.

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Are there any plans or thoughts for having a how to session or 2 for actually making lasers shows? Maybe for Beyond, LSX, Spaghetti, LaserShowGen, etc.. I could use some of the basics for Beyond and LaserShowGen. We could have them impromptu or what not but being on the schedule is good too. Any thoughts? I know you fellows have ideas.
    Sounds good, but we'd have to find people willing to give those classes. I know swamidog gave an LSX class a few years ago. I know laserjock knows Spaghetti (LOL) and probably a lot of people know LSG. But so fare nobody has volunteered to do this.

Also maybe we can have a make a show at SELEM and have a contest or just enjoy what wacky stuff we see? At the old Laser-FX meetups we could submit shows in a standard format (ADAT I think), we all watched them and voted to get a Brewster award. Maybe that's too formal.
    I think Brad has something tentative for Tuesday evening along these lines, but I'll let him talk about that at SELEM.

Thanks Hank!

That is the most missed thing from SELEMs of the past after I had returned after 7 year hiatus, was the building of projects/projectors and also the unique show content. I still enjoy several from allthatwhichis that he did in the past. Yep the brewsters were submitted on ADAT, I /another bought all of Michael's ADAT and remaining laser stuff some years back and have most of the shows from the conferences.
    Last edited by polishedball; 07-27-2022 at 10:28.
    leading in trailing technology

Should we bring an ADAT player and show some old shows? I have an ADAT (no idea of how good it works) and some show tapes from my uncle. I will plan on bringing it. Will have to check it out before I leave. Also I wouldn't mind transferring my shows from ADAT into WAV format if anyone knows how to do that.

Projector building ... hmm that would be fun. I know Ethan has a projector that needs the red diodes replaced. If he wants that would be a fun group activity. I also have one that needs the reds replaced however I didn't order any parts like Ethan did.

Should we bring an ADAT player and show some old shows? I have an ADAT (no idea of how good it works) and some show tapes from my uncle. I will plan on bringing it. Will have to check it out before I leave. Also I wouldn't mind transferring my shows from ADAT into WAV format if anyone knows how to do that.

Projector building ... hmm that would be fun. I know Ethan has a projector that needs the red diodes replaced. If he wants that would be a fun group activity. I also have one that needs the reds replaced however I didn't order any parts like Ethan did.

I can bring my usbstreamer to record ADATs to wav if you have a ADAT working player. Mine runs kinda but I wouldn't want to put someone else's tape in it.
    leading in trailing technology

I have a MiniDSP Lightpipe interface as well, and can bring it. HD24 and black ADAT machines if needed. I am bringing an IE DV decoder/encoder and tape machine for a project with cfav. If you have content on DV tape or laserdisc you want converted it could happen but you have to let me know in advance and what format (SVHS, Beta, 3/4", LaserDisc. I don't have a LD player.)

-----

Hey, so the data hoarder in me has the idea of trying to get paper laser and show documentation for archive. I think it would be cool to try to archive laser related and show related print materials and feed it into archive.org and other places to try to get things that don't exist in digital form to digital.

Does anyone have this kind of stuff that needs to go digital? I think I have SP 2020 or 2040 manuals from when I had one of those 20 watt argons and a 270 exciter (that's right) and was thinking I need to scan it. Problem is the fold out diagrams. But anyways, it's a thought I've had for a while. I have some manuals I plan to scan soon but am wondering how much other stuff is out there that needs to be digitally preserved? Just a project idea.

You know, in addition to making a documentary about laser shows. But that is another 7 year old project idea that scares me every time I try to figure out how I would do it :-)
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Adv, LSX, ADAT, FB3, FB4
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

Hank,
    Thanks for stepping up and putting together the schedule. You know it's like the name tags......it is forever yours now.

I see a lot of VR time. I hope I get a chance to play. Lol

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

As far as what Hank mentioned above... I had an idea that I ran past Adam for something we might want to try for the fun of it and he suggested Tuesday night. Basically it's a version of the ILDA Laser Jockey competition that happens at the ILDA conference each year.

The idea is this. Anyone who wants to sign up to be a "contestant" can. Each person, after a blind draw, will perform live to approximately 3 minute random clip of music they've likely not heard before. Usually EDM type stuff. (I have clips)

The audience will then vote on who did the best job. It's supposed to be anonymous so, the audience sits in front of the control station area and, using the honor system, don't turn around to see who the contestant is. They are told "You are now scoring contestant one." "You are now scoring contestant two. " and so forth. It's a little tricky since there will probably need to be some switching of cables in between each contestant. They've been using IDN for the past two years and usually there is a bit of time beforehand where each person has some time to set up and check their zones and such. Granted at ILDA, the bar is open and it's pretty social between contestants but, we usually have switched between the folks competing in a matter of two minutes or so. Typically we've had about 5 or 6 competing so, it's usually an hour or so. If nobody wants to do it, no harm, no foul... just thought it could be something different to try. I have no idea about a "prize" yet. Might just be bragging rights but maybe we can find something cool to make it more enticing.

I haven't run any of my shows for several years so, maybe I can set some of my gear up in the club for that too. I've got 7 that I've created over time.

I'm also good with the idea of some basic show programming education in various formats. Lord knows I could use it.
    PM Sent...