Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: SELEM 2022 Sign-up Thread

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,335

    Default

    Will be great to see you again, Kevin!

    He hasn't signed up yet, but I think Sal (DiscothefunkyHippo) will be coming again, and I suspect he'll be interested in plugging in your new mixer.

    Wonder if we could get Mario (Ragdoll) to come this year as well.?. Been a while since he's attended. (Though if he does come, this time he can leave those massive folded-horn subwoofers of his at home. 10KW rms per cabinet, and over 400 lbs each, and the dude brought 8! We only set up four of them - 2 in the club and 2 in the auditorium - and I still remember being unable to read text while standing in front of one because my eyes were fluttering in their sockets... Sheesh!)

    Adam

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    DC/VA metro area
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Payment sent!

    I remember those beautiful subs! I think they were EAW but I could be wrong.

    --[buy sell and trade]--

    A few months ago I ended up buying from a local a bunch of laser equipment. My goal is to sell it to put it in the hands of others that will appreciate it. The thing is, I don't want to cross the line and make any profit on it, it has to be no more than I paid total for the stuff.

    But a lot of it isn't useful for show stuff I don't think. Stuff like diode pumped UV and IR, maybe Qswitched. It's mostly Lightwave electronics I think, some sexy stuff but the heads are water cooled. But diode. But water cooled diodes. I will probably keep the chiller and the one 532nm system but the rest of it I would like to place into good hands. The power supplies are from their factory so have different firmware, and I have manuals and stuff. The guy was really cool, and I want to pay it forward. I will scan all manuals and turn it all free before event, and I will dump all of the FLASH/EPROM and NVRAM chips in the power supplies and set all that data free before event. The company was acquired years ago and is gone.

    There is some SP argon ion single mode heads, and there are some hene as well. It will come to SELEM, we can test and play, we will figure it out then.

    --[conventional lighting]--

    Conventional lighting? I bought a HES Full Boar console a few weeks ago. They just look cool, and I wanted to see what it would take to upgrade the motherboard and see if it will run stuff like the 4 version software, and other geeky things.

    I haven't tried to use it yet though. I grew up playing with Freestyler DMX so the workflow of the real consoles is different. Would be fun to learn things.

    Was working on a video of the High End Systems Status Cue setup that I finally got working. It was their first console, sometimes known as the Cyberlight controller.

    --[wtb: trackspot bolts]--

    I am looking for Trackspot Bolt fixtures to repair and keep. They are made by High End Systems, and I think they were an unsuccessful product and might have a high failure rate but I am unsure. But if anyone has leads, holllaaaaaa! Part of my curiosity is trying to figure out building LED engines to drop into Technobeam, Roboscan and Trackspot fixtures.

    --[??]--

    eof
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Advanced, LSX, ADAT
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,335

    Smile

    Got your registration, Ethan!

    I can't remember the brand of those folded-horn subs, but EAW sounds right... I remember Mario saying that they were custom builds, not off-the-shelf models, so you wouldn't find them anywhere else.

    Remember the one that had the bad driver? The magnet had sheared in two across the face - like separating two plates that had been stacked together! Crazy...

    There was a guy in Knoxville that had a smaller set of subs that were also custom. He ran a club that was positioned under a bridge, and we used to tease him that the vibrations from the subs would one day shake loose the bridge support pier and the whole roadway would come crashing down. (Think he went by "massivesound" here on PL back in the day...) But yeah, folded-horn subwoofers are just insane.

    As for the buy-sell-trade area, we can extend it down to the end of the kitchen service hallway and into the storage room where all the tables are kept if we need more space. And if that's not enough room we can also put stuff in the bar service hallway (near the doors that go out to the patio area). So please bring the stuff you got from that guy; I'm sure we can find a good home for it. (Dibs on the SP-261 PSU and 161 head!)

    Adam

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN, USA
    Posts
    3,153

    Default

    I'm in!!

    Polo, Large 1, each please...
    RR

    Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    1979.
    Sweet.....

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN, USA
    Posts
    3,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    ...

    There was a guy in Knoxville that had a smaller set of subs that were also custom. He ran a club that was positioned under a bridge, and we used to tease him that the vibrations from the subs would one day shake loose the bridge support pier and the whole roadway would come crashing down. (Think he went by "massivesound" here on PL back in the day...) But yeah, folded-horn subwoofers are just insane.

    ...

    Adam
    Memories are a bit foggy, but I seem to recall an interesting one-night laser gig at that particular establishment...
    RR

    Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    1979.
    Sweet.....

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuka View Post
    Memories are a bit foggy, but I seem to recall an interesting one-night laser gig at that particular establishment...
    Yup. It was sort of a "Knoxville-LEM" during the afternoon, but in the evening they opened the place up to the public and had a DJ playing.

    I just remembered his name, too: Brad Tomlinson. Wonder what ever happened to him?

    Adam

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Knoxville, TN, USA
    Posts
    3,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Yup. It was sort of a "Knoxville-LEM" during the afternoon, but in the evening they opened the place up to the public and had a DJ playing.

    I just remembered his name, too: Brad Tomlinson. Wonder what ever happened to him?

    Adam
    Last time I saw him was later that year ~
    I think he had some entertainment industry plans that wore going to take him elsewhere...
    RR

    Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    1979.
    Sweet.....

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    DC/VA metro area
    Posts
    396

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Got your registration, Ethan!

    I can't remember the brand of those folded-horn subs, but EAW sounds right... I remember Mario saying that they were custom builds, not off-the-shelf models, so you wouldn't find them anywhere else.

    Remember the one that had the bad driver? The magnet had sheared in two across the face - like separating two plates that had been stacked together! Crazy...

    There was a guy in Knoxville that had a smaller set of subs that were also custom. He ran a club that was positioned under a bridge, and we used to tease him that the vibrations from the subs would one day shake loose the bridge support pier and the whole roadway would come crashing down. (Think he went by "massivesound" here on PL back in the day...) But yeah, folded-horn subwoofers are just insane.
    Yea I remember how huge the magnet was. I guess in modern times they are smaller due to rare earth magnets, but it was something else. I think he said he had 8 or 16 of them and used them for big outdoor festivals?

    I actually just picked up a smallish PA with a sub recently, QSC K10s and a KS112. I have always loved the system and found a deal on it.

    As for the buy-sell-trade area, we can extend it down to the end of the kitchen service hallway and into the storage room where all the tables are kept if we need more space. And if that's not enough room we can also put stuff in the bar service hallway (near the doors that go out to the patio area). So please bring the stuff you got from that guy; I'm sure we can find a good home for it. (Dibs on the SP-261 PSU and 161 head!)
    Adam
    Yea yea the stuff isn't that large, early higher powered lab diode stuff mostly and small ion.
    Modern and Retro laser show hobbyist
    Pangolin QM16, QM32, Beyond Advanced, LSX, ADAT
    LS Pluto II x 2, custom build x 1
    http://lasershowwiki.757.org for my all encompassing laser show wiki.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by telmnstr View Post
    Yea I remember how huge the magnet was. I guess in modern times they are smaller due to rare earth magnets, but it was something else. I think he said he had 8 or 16 of them and used them for big outdoor festivals?
    Do they use rare-earth magnets in modern speakers? I suppose it would make sense to do so, but I've never really checked...

    Mario had 8 of those folded horn cabinets, and yeah, they were mostly for outdoor festivals. He just happened to have them in his trailer when he came to SELEM, so we set two of them up in the auditorium, and two more in the cafeteria. We only had them for that one year though.

    I remember walking past the cafeteria windows one evening that year and noticing that the windows were BREATHING. How we didn't break them (or force them out of the frames) is beyond me.

    I actually just picked up a smallish PA with a sub recently, QSC K10s and a KS112. I have always loved the system and found a deal on it.
    Brad has a set of the QSC K10's and another pair of the K12's. Both are absolutely amazing! For a couple years that's all we had in the auditorium for sound, and it always sounded great. (One year it was a pair of the K10s, then the next couple years it was a pair of K12s, always paired with a single 18" powered subwoofer - pretty sure that was a 1KW JBL.)

    Adam

  10. #20
    Bradfo69's Avatar
    Bradfo69 is online now Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    6,165

    Default

    Only 5 days left to save on early registration!!! This is your money saving warning...
    PM Sent...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •