Thread: Power Meter Suggestions?

Default Power Meter Suggestions?

Howdie friends. I’m in the market for a new laser power meter. My old Ophir is on the struggle bus. I’ve looked around, and there is a lot to choose from, it’s easy to be confused as to what to get. I have been eyeing the PM100D by Thorlabs, or a Fieldmaster GS. Portability is important, digital readout is a plus, up to 100 watt works.

mixedgas is offline Creaky Old Award Winning Bastard Technologist
    Infinitus Excellentia Ion Laser Dominatus
    A lab with some dripping water on the floor.

I have a Fieldmaster GS with the LM-2 and the LM-10 Quadrant. I'm a fan of the the Quadrant, but I did not buy it, I obtained it used. I do like the actual analog tuning needle/meter movement that pops up in front of the LCD in tune mode. If your not working with Ion, Tuning Cavities, aligning RGB dichros often, Using pulsed lasers or audience scanning, Coherent's PM heads with built in USB running off Laptop may be appropriate. Being able to have photodiode, thermal, and piezo sensors on one meter is a plus. Grade = A, but not as nice as some older FM's that my employer had.

I've used a PM100 when a customer had one, and I'm going to give it a solid "B". Not fancy at all, a bit noisy, and tended to have a zero drift.

Steve
    Qui habet Christos, habet Vitam!
    I should have rented the space under my name for advertising.
    When I still could have...