Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
Regarding the need to synchronize the rise and fall times of different diodes, while it's true that using a high quality driver helps, if you want the timing to be absolutely perfect, you could always install a DZ color board. This board allows you to set a separate delay on the rising and falling edge of the modulation signal for each of the three primary colors (R, G, B). (If you are using a 6-color system, you just need a second board for the other 3 colors.)

Granted, most direct-injection diodes have markedly-similar performance these days, so as long as you are using the same driver for each color you are probably fine. These boards were originally designed for projectors that were using DPSS lasers for both blue and green, with only the reds being direct-injection diodes. Despite the notoriously lousy modulation performance of your typical DPSS laser from 15 + years ago, installing one of these boards would give you amazingly accurate color modulation across all colors. I couldn't believe the difference it made on my first RGB projector (which had 660 nm red, 532 nm green, and 473 nm blue).

But if you're noticing any slight differences in modulation response even with an all-direct-injection diode build today, a DZ color board will certainly fix this.

(Note that DZ stopped selling these boards many years ago, but he passed the circuit design on to Stanwax, who still sells them on his site.)

Adam

I have used DZ Boards from Stanwax and was very impressed with the results and their customer service.
👍👍 IMHO. 😎