Thread: Lets talk about the EPROM in all of the Mobolazers that's degrading, a call for help

Default Lets talk about the EPROM in all of the Mobolazers that's degrading, a call for help

As you may or may not be aware, the mobolazer beam tables have EPROM chips inside them with code on them to run the units in an automatic mode if wanted. These chips are common 27C64 or 2764chips.

The issue is, after 20+ years, the data on them has degraded. How common is this? I have 17 mobolazers and only 1 of them still had a good chip.

The good news is, the lil G beam, the most common device, is the unit I have a good chip for and I have since backup up the code.

The bad news is, the RG (red green) and R beams both had bad EPROMs in them.

Also more bad news, the chips in all the ML-10's that I have access to are also degraded.

I have since found a suitable EEPROM that will work in the mobolazers but I need a good read of the chips.

So if you have a WORKING in auto mode mobolazer ML-10, RG beam, or R beam. reach out to me ASAP before your chip fails. If you live near North Carolina, I will drive to you, if you are far away, we can figure something out with me sending my chip reader to you. I will let you keep your original chip but I will also send a much more robust EEPROM back to you in exchange so you dont have to worry about it not working one day.

Edit: Also if anyone has a manual then please let me get a copy
    Last edited by dream beamz; 06-03-2022 at 09:20.

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

I have 4 ML-10's but, don't believe I've ever done anything in "automatic" mode... whatever that is. But, I'm game for ensuring they don't become obsolete for resale due to a bad EPROM.
    PM Sent...

Thanks for your reply. Sent you a PM

Guys, I don't think the ML-10s have auto mode like the Lil G Beams. G-Beams ran DMX and used dipswitch settings, and was just an 8 channel sequence on/off and maybe one or two other "patterns". NO audio either. The dip switch also let you turn on each channel static beam separately to "align" on your bounce mirrors.

ML-10:

The Big G (ML-10) had DMX plus a DB25 for 0-10v dimmer control for 10 beam actuators, 2 color flags, and a shutter. A few years ago someone on the forum needed the EPROM for the ML-10. I sent mine to them and they copied it and sent it back along with the binaries to burn more of them. I'll look for the files tonight.

I have a Lil' G beam, 5mw & 30mw RG-Beams and the board for an R-Beam and all have the erpoms in sockets. I only have the board and eprom for one R-Beam so that has to be handled carefully.

Let me find everything tonight and we can figure out a way to get them to you to make copies. I was thinking about this not too long ago, and would also like to have backups.

I'll look at the g-beams I have and see what's the latest eprom revision I have socketed. I have at least 10 g-beam boards, and at some point the eproms were changed to PROMs and were soldered, not socketed.

If anyone needs a G-Beam board, I have a bunch of populated G-Beam boards that work, some with minor issues that I will sell cheap. I also have around 50 "New" G-beam pcb's that have never been populated with components or soldered on.
    I originally was using these as DMX to 8 channel TTL I/O boards, but I have built just about everything I wanted to with these.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by djeric68; 06-06-2022 at 10:51.
    Eric in New Orleans

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Quote Originally Posted by djeric68 View Post
    Guys, I don't think the ML-10s have auto mode like the Lil G Beams. G-Beams ran DMX and used dipswitch settings, and was just an 8 channel sequence on/off and maybe one or two other "patterns". NO audio either. The dip switch also let you turn on each channel static beam separately to "align" on your bounce mirrors.

ML-10:

The Big G (ML-10) had DMX plus a DB25 for 0-10v dimmer control for 10 beam actuators, 2 color flags, and a shutter. A few years ago someone on the forum needed the EPROM for the ML-10. I sent mine to them and they copied it and sent it back along with the binaries to burn more of them. I'll look for the files tonight.

I have a Lil' G beam, 5mw & 30mw RG-Beams and the board for an R-Beam and all have the erpoms in sockets. I only have the board and eprom for one R-Beam so that has to be handled carefully.

Let me find everything tonight and we can figure out a way to get them to you to make copies. I was thinking about this not too long ago, and would also like to have backups.

I'll look at the g-beams I have and see what's the latest eprom revision I have socketed. I have at least 10 g-beam boards, and at some point the eproms were changed to PROMs and were soldered, not socketed.

If anyone needs a G-Beam board, I have a bunch of populated G-Beam boards that work, some with minor issues that I will sell cheap. I also have around 50 "New" G-beam pcb's that have never been populated with components or soldered on.
    I originally was using these as DMX to 8 channel TTL I/O boards, but I have built just about everything I wanted to with these.

- - - Updated - - -
    How difficult would this be to tackle at SELEM? Maybe even make it a presentation of some sort?
    PM Sent...

Quote Originally Posted by djeric68 View Post

ML-10:

- - - Updated - - -
    I have tons of these blank boards too and some populated but only one R beam and one RG beam, both with bad EPROMS. I really need a working RG beam EPROM dump. Yeah some of mine were soldered on but I desoldered and got some good dumps from them then installed a 28 pin DIP socket.

Interesting the auto-mode isn't on the ML-10 but that explains things, can you send the exact dip switch settings for the turret aiming mode or do you have the original manual?

The only "manual" I can find shows how to run in DMX mode
    https://web.archive.org/web/20040401..._dmx-chart.htm