Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Home Arcade

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ronhip View Post
    Hmmm... I've always heard it referred to a "Uranium glass", since it's a uranium oxide that gives it the yellow-greeninsh (Vaseline) color. Wikipedia has a nice short article on it:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uranium_glass

    Ron
    You are right of course.

    I have some vaseline glass, but some is just uranium glass.

    Its often used interchangeably
    Custom build - 1 watt rgb laser projector - saturn scanners, 6 single-mode diodes
    Kvant - Clubmax 1800
    Pangolin Beyond, LSX, Maxwell, Laserdock, Etherdream, Prototype Apple II Laser DAC
    Various Pointers and Lab lasers along w/Diodes, Arrays, OPSL, DPSS, HeNe and Argons.
    Lasos Air Cooled Argon w/plexiglass covered glass bell
    SP-127



  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1 hr from everything in SoCal
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    What a lovely home arcade! Very cool!

    I have a few pins myself and one Atari cabinet.

    20210223_163745.jpg20210223_130822.jpg
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Posts
    2,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    What a lovely home arcade! Very cool!

    I have a few pins myself and one Atari cabinet.

    20210223_163745.jpg20210223_130822.jpg
    That is great, I have owned cyclone and millionaire in the past. Cyclone and Highspeed were the first pins I was introduced to in college dorm.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    What a lovely home arcade! Very cool!

    I have a few pins myself and one Atari cabinet.

    20210223_163745.jpg20210223_130822.jpg
    That is great, I have owned cyclone and millionaire in the past. Cyclone and Highspeed were the first pins I was introduced to in college dorm.
    leading in trailing technology

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    That is great, I have owned cyclone and millionaire in the past. Cyclone and Highspeed were the first pins I was introduced to in college dorm.
    Oh man, High Speed was at the local arcade in college and my roommate and I would play that thing for hours. I'm not a big (or good) pinball player, but that one game is burned into my mind! I did notice it very briefly on your virtual pinball machine video. Do you have the real thing?

    Also, in the 70's, my dad had a Playboy pinball machine in his basement bar. We played that a lot (free play, of course).

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1 hr from everything in SoCal
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    That is great, I have owned cyclone and millionaire in the past. Cyclone and Highspeed were the first pins I was introduced to in college dorm.
    Thank you! Highspeed is an awesome pin! I have a special place in my heart for Millionaire. My uncle had Millionaire in his shop and it was one of the first pins I ever played. When he sold his business, the pin went, too. Several years later, I found one on Craigslist and purchased it and restored it. Blackout came a few years later and Cyclone was recent. The only mod I made to Cyclone was removing the Hankscraft 11rpm motor that turns the ferris wheel. Those motors are notoriously weak and you have to get the EXACT correct belt for it, otherwise the belt is too tight and the motor will hang. I put a 0.9° stepper with a smooth step driver. You can't hear it and it turns fluidly. Now, I can use any belt that "fits" because the stepper has lots of torque. I am on the lookout for a 1980 Black Knight. After that, my wife has stipulated, no more pins! lol

    That is really cool that you converted a part of your home into an arcade. It's fun to grow up and be an adult but holding on to the magic of being a kid and the fun we all had is something more important. DEVO said it best... "Remember to take time out for fun".
    Last edited by absolom7691; 07-12-2022 at 09:10.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2026
    Location
    253 Washington PNW
    Posts
    3

    Thumbs up

    I guess the glowwall makes it tolerable to be in the room, but if you had even an ounce of dignity or respect you would have a dedicated laserMAME wall, I mean, do u even lase bro??

    I'm kidding of course. That personal arcade room is about the coolest man cave I've seen in years and puts you in running for father of the year, if not dad of the decade. Shit if I had this at home when I was a kid, I would have actually had a chance to save my allowance instead of feeding qtrs into machines at the mall.

    Tho a laserMAME/vector game emulator plugged into a scanner has always been one of my make-a-wish laser fantasies, I've never had the skills or knowhow or funds to pursue it further than daydreaming. I don't see people showing those builds too often, if u had one youd be able to turn ur basement into a profitable neighborhood speakeasy if u lived in my hood. Anyways, cool space, thanks for sharing.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    2,147,489,631

    Default

    LaserMame really needs a projector with 60K scanners. So many of the classic games just have too much going on for a 30K projector to keep up. I mean, Asteroids looks pretty good, but even Tempest starts to flicker pretty badly, and Star Wars is just awful at 30K.

    Wonder how much work it would be to port the original QM2000 code over to the Beyond SDK? If we could get LaserMame talking to Beyond, then we might be able to use the distributed scanning feature to split the load between 2 (or even 3) projectors. In that case, 30K scanners shouldn't be a problem.

    Alas, I don't think anyone has looked at LaserMame in close to 20 years. Sigh...

    Adam

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    1 hr from everything in SoCal
    Posts
    2,833

    Default

    It would be cool if LaserMame could be configured to split the output across multiple DACs. Take Tempest, for instance... The score and text could be displayed by one projector, the level grid by another, and the Blaster and enemies by a third projector. It would be a bitch to program and would likely need to be done for each game but it'd probably be the only way to make LaserMame palatable. Even 60K is seizure inducing!
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2026
    Location
    253 Washington PNW
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    LaserMame really needs a projector with 60K scanners. So many of the classic games just have too much going on for a 30K projector to keep up. I mean, Asteroids looks pretty good, but even Tempest starts to flicker pretty badly, and Star Wars is just awful at 30K.

    Wonder how much work it would be to port the original QM2000 code over to the Beyond SDK? If we could get LaserMame talking to Beyond, then we might be able to use the distributed scanning feature to split the load between 2 (or even 3) projectors. In that case, 30K scanners shouldn't be a problem.

    Alas, I don't think anyone has looked at LaserMame in close to 20 years. Sigh...

    Adam
    Ironically I saw this person's project posted on hackaday like a few days after I came across this post. They managed to get asteroids running off a eBay 20k galvos and esp32 setup, with control by Wii chucks over i2c. The person designed their own board that integrates all the hardware and programmed in rust. Like I mentioned Im not skilled enough to pull something like this off and unsure of how much extra would be required to run a real emulator setup on this, the asteroids seems like it was a custom feature thats loaded and didn't mention any other specific games. But still, good to know folks smarter than me are still playing with the idea of gaming on scanners. It would be super cool if someone were to release a dedicated product with all the code stuff embedded. I imagine licencing for the games would be the most difficult aspect of bringing something like that for sale, as well as the demand would be pretty limited.

    https://breq.dev/projects/laser-projector

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2026
    Location
    253 Washington PNW
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    It would be cool if LaserMame could be configured to split the output across multiple DACs. Take Tempest, for instance... The score and text could be displayed by one projector, the level grid by another, and the Blaster and enemies by a third projector. It would be a bitch to program and would likely need to be done for each game but it'd probably be the only way to make LaserMame palatable. Even 60K is seizure inducing!


    U know that sounds like an absurd setup at first, but then it got me thinking of 3d gaming. It would be dope to try to polarize the output of the separate projectors and then wear those polarized 3d glasses u get at movie theaters. I think realD3d is whats printed on the glasses, and relys on polarized frames for the stereo effect instead of those active 3d glasses that use a shutter effect thats synced to the player. Would be a cool experiment to try?🤷🏽

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •