Thread: help with old quickshow

Default help with old quickshow

after a 2 year halt just getting back into things. we have a few installations where clients laptop is used to run show we just turn up with fb3 and we find we have got many older machines used for shows but now qs wont run on them, the fb3 has latest and greatest (ha ha ) firmware so it wont allow older versions to run . newer version of quickshow wont run as they say machines are not good enough. used them for ages before changing to latest version on one machine and stupidly updated the fb3 firmware now have a few useless machines . no way they are getting replaced with new as its unecessarty and customers wont cough up the cash. QS used to run great on them .
    Any idea on how to get either newer QS to run on older ( only a few years older) hardware or how to rollback fb3 firmware . dont need any of the changes in QS since the one we brought which was 2.5. also have same issue with beyond but not as desperate as only used on 1 machine.
    thanks.

Contact support@pangolin.com
    I believe they do have a firmware downgrader, but its not on public release.
    Frikkin Lasers
    http://www.frikkinlasers.co.uk

You are using Bonetti's defense against me, ah?

I thought it fitting, considering the rocky terrain.

I'm not sure about rolling back firmware, but there's a way to override the setting that won't allow you to run on old PCs. I've done it for my trade show computers. Ask support as mentioned.
    Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

Quote Originally Posted by norty303 View Post
    Contact support@pangolin.com
    I believe they do have a firmware downgrader, but its not on public release.
    hanks ill try but ie found then obstinate in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by eboy View Post
    hanks ill try but ie found then obstinate in the past.
    You do realize that the post immediately above yours was from Ryan Smith, who is an engineer at Pangolin, right? So, maybe try his suggestion first, before you accuse Pangolin of being obstinate? Just sayin'...

For the record, there is no way to roll the firmware back. There *used* to be a special version of the software that would disregard the firmware version check, but that software was only used for special field test cases and was not available to the general public. And in any event, it was obsoleted with the release of the new licensing scheme which was introduced last year.

However, as Ryan mentioned, there *is* a way to force the new software to install itself onto older computer hardware, even if the installer thinks that the computer won't be able to run the software. This is the solution you want. Contact customer support at Pangolin and they will send you instructions on how to bypass the "is my computer fast enough" check. Once you have the new software running, it will accept the new firmware version on your controller.

Obviously, you may encounter performance issues if you do this, but unless you are trying to run the software on a potato, it should be OK. (As a benchmark, I've successfully run Beyond on an Intel Core-2-Duo machine with just 8 gigs of ram in the past. Not saying it ran WELL, mind you, but it did run.)

Adam

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Obviously, you may encounter performance issues if you do this, but unless you are trying to run the software on a potato, it should be OK.

Adam
    please tell me more about this laser potato.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post

Obviously, you may encounter performance issues if you do this, but unless you are trying to run the software on a potato, it should be OK. (As a benchmark, I've successfully run Beyond on an Intel Core-2-Duo machine with just 8 gigs of ram in the past. Not saying it ran WELL, mind you, but it did run.)

Adam
    I run Beyond on this awful piece of shit for demos:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambi...lack/923702985

It's not pretty but it does what I need it to do,....
    Sincerely,
    Ryan Smith
    ScannerMAX Mechanical Engineer
    ryan {at} scannermax.com

I'm pretty sure I installed and ran Beyond 2.something on one of these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265512468408 It's still around here somewhere

I definitely ran Beyond on this machine: https://www.ebay.com/itm/185293430403 -- I e-wasted this machine after upgrading to Windows 10 and the trackpad no longer worked.

well we all hae our own experiences, mine being pangolin suport are helpfull but bill is a ***K. and they licensing system sucks.
    just saying.