Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Projecting a logo

Default Projecting a logo

Hey guys, been a few years since I last posted on here. Feels good to be back. Oh my how lasers have changed.

Anyways, I have the following kit and I would like to project a logo, which (ideally free) software can I use with either of my DACs, ideally the Helios or LaserOS to project it? I tried to do it on my Lasercube 2w but it just looked terrible. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BurningSpark1.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	58976

DACs: Helios, Etherdream, LaserOS
    Laser: SwissLas PM2300 RGB, Lasercube 2w
    Laptop: Mac

Quote Originally Posted by SamV View Post
    I would like to project a logo, which (ideally free) software can I use with either of my DACs, ideally the Helios or LaserOS to project it? I tried to do it on my Lasercube 2w but it just looked terrible. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    When you say it looked terrible, do you mean that it was distorted, or did it just have a lot of flicker?

Outline fonts are difficult to scan, because of the added point count per letter, so even at 30K I would expect that logo to flicker quite a bit.

I'm assuming that you are using the LaserOS application to trace the image, yes? In that case, I'd try just tracing the abstract shape in the center, and then add the text on top of it using a standard stick font, rather than trying to trace the original outline font as well. Using a stick font should reduce the point count enough that the image doesn't flicker too much.

If you are having trouble with a distorted image, then you are probably just trying to scan too wide. Try reducing the scan angle and see if that helps. (Posting a picture of what you see on the wall will also help.)

Adam

LaserBoy is free. It compiles and runs on Mac (and just about any other OS). It has a vector font rendering system. A logo like that would probably take me less than 30 minutes to make to look as good as it possibly could.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

swamidog is online now Jr. Woodchuckington Janitor III, Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    LaserBoy is free. It compiles and runs on Mac (and just about any other OS). It has a vector font rendering system. A logo like that would probably take me less than 30 minutes to make to look as good as it possibly could.
    that image will not look good with 30k scanners regardless of the alchemy applied to it.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    that image will not look good with 30k scanners regardless of the alchemy applied to it.
    What solution do you have to offer, for Mac, for free or any other way?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

What solution do you have to offer, for Mac, for free or any other way?
    faster galvos, distributed scanning, or simplify the logo.
    suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.

faster galvos, distributed scanning, or simplify the logo.
    What logo? What way do you offer to even begin making a logo?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

What logo? What way do you offer to even begin making a logo?
    the logo at the beginning of the thread.. that you apparently have not bothered to actually read.

the logo at the beginning of the thread.. that you apparently have not bothered to actually read.
    I did read the first post. I see a raster image of a logo. That needs to be recreated as a vector image, either whole or in parts. Again I ask, what solution do you offer?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    When you say it looked terrible, do you mean that it was distorted, or did it just have a lot of flicker?

Outline fonts are difficult to scan, because of the added point count per letter, so even at 30K I would expect that logo to flicker quite a bit.

I'm assuming that you are using the LaserOS application to trace the image, yes? In that case, I'd try just tracing the abstract shape in the center, and then add the text on top of it using a standard stick font, rather than trying to trace the original outline font as well. Using a stick font should reduce the point count enough that the image doesn't flicker too much.

If you are having trouble with a distorted image, then you are probably just trying to scan too wide. Try reducing the scan angle and see if that helps. (Posting a picture of what you see on the wall will also help.)

Adam
    It was distorted heavily, lots of gaps, the font looked very different and rounded. I think you're right in terms of too many points.