Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SELEM HIE

Default SELEM HIE

IMPORTANT POST!

Hi Folks,

Any of you that have already or plan to make reservations at the HIE Elkton, please reply to this thread with the name the reservation is under. I am getting a list together for the manager of the hotel; she is going to work out a group rate for us for this year. Please try to reply before the middle of next week.

Thanks!
    Newlin

No reservation yet. Planning to do that soon. Will register under the name: Christopher Favreau
    Will be staying the whole week. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lulighttec View Post
    Any of you that have already or plan to make reservations at the HIE Elkton, please reply to this thread with the name the reservation is under.
    Here's the backstory that explains this:

Newlin received much the same treatment that I did when he called the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Elkton. He was treated rudely and in general just given the run-around. When this happened to me (when I called them multiple times to try to negotiate a group rate), I just figured that we'd encourage people to stay at other hotels. But Newlin decided to call corporate to complain about how he was treated, and *BOY* did corporate respond quickly! Next thing I know, I'm being emailed by the regional sales manager, the corporate accounts manager, and being directed to call the general manager of the hotel...

I just got off the phone with Kelly, who is the GM for the HIE in Elkton. She was very apologetic, and definitely wanted to make things right for us. For starters, she agreed to give everyone a discounted rate, even though that normally can't be done this close to an event. So if you haven't booked your room yet, you can call them and tell them you are with the "SELEM Laser Group" and they should give you a break on the rate. Not sure exactly what it will be (Kelly was still working on it when I called), but I'm guessing it will be around a $20 per night discount. Note: If you are an HIE rewards club member, you can get a bigger discount. (I think it's called "Hilton Honors".?.)

Best part: If you have already booked your room, that's fine. Just call them back and tell them that you are with the "SELEM Laser Group" and they will apply the group rate to your reservation. (You should also be able to do this at the front desk when you check in, but I think it would be better to call them ahead of time just to be sure.) And yes, I would still remind them that you are with the "SELEM Laser Group" when you check in, just to be sure that they have a record of it.

Once they understand how many people will be coming back to the hotel each year, we can negotiate for larger discounts. That's why we're making our own list, here on the forum. We plan to compare lists with the hotel at the end and make sure everyone was counted.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Here's the backstory that explains this:

Newlin received much the same treatment that I did when he called the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Elkton. He was treated rudely and in general just given the run-around. When this happened to me (when I called them multiple times to try to negotiate a group rate), I just figured that we'd encourage people to stay at other hotels. But Newlin decided to call corporate to complain about how he was treated, and *BOY* did corporate respond quickly! Next thing I know, I'm being emailed by the regional sales manager, the corporate accounts manager, and being directed to call the general manager of the hotel...

I just got off the phone with Kelly, who is the GM for the HIE in Elkton. She was very apologetic, and definitely wanted to make things right for us. For starters, she agreed to give everyone a discounted rate, even though that normally can't be done this close to an event. So if you haven't booked your room yet, you can call them and tell them you are with the "SELEM Laser Group" and they should give you a break on the rate. Not sure exactly what it will be (Kelly was still working on it when I called), but I'm guessing it will be around a $20 per night discount. Note: If you are an HIE rewards club member, you can get a bigger discount. (I think it's called "Hilton Honors".?.)

Best part: If you have already booked your room, that's fine. Just call them back and tell them that you are with the "SELEM Laser Group" and they will apply the group rate to your reservation. (You should also be able to do this at the front desk when you check in, but I think it would be better to call them ahead of time just to be sure.) And yes, I would still remind them that you are with the "SELEM Laser Group" when you check in, just to be sure that they have a record of it.

Once they understand how many people will be coming back to the hotel each year, we can negotiate for larger discounts. That's why we're making our own list, here on the forum. We plan to compare lists with the hotel at the end and make sure everyone was counted.

Adam

Thank you for the longer explanation! :-) This was one of several punches on a list of things I had to do today. ;-)

Bradfo69 is offline Pending BST Forum Purchases: $47,127,283.53

Thank you both for your efforts with this. Last year I visited both Elk Forge and HIE a couple times and explained the event and got rate quotes. I understand HIE dropped the ball last year which they blamed on a new computer system. I got different stories from different people about how things went with their reservations. I meant to physically go there again this year back in April and May and simply was too busy at work to give it the attention I should have. Hopefully the chain rattling will have done some good. If they ever get the damn hotel underway next door to the venue, rest assured I expect we will have a stellar relationship with them and not have to deal with HIE Elkton.
    PM Sent...

Can't remember if I booked under Chris Tate or Christopher.

I just got off the phone with Jennifer. She was very nice, but told me I already had the best rate they could offer. The only thing they could do was adjust Friday down to the weekday rate. So I will only save a few dollars for 1 night.
    Last edited by Lazerjock; 07-20-2022 at 05:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazerjock View Post
    Can't remember if I booked under Chris Tate or Christopher.
    I just got off the phone with Jennifer. She was very nice, but told me I already had the best rate they could offer. The only thing they could do was adjust Friday down to the weekday rate. So I will only save a few dollars for 1 night.
    Please do me a favor: Call them back and ask to speak with Kelly, the general manager. If they ask why, just tell them that you're with the "SELEM Laser Group" and you have a few questions for the general manager and leave it at that. I want to see if Jennifer is telling the truth or not.

Jennifer is one of the known problematic employees. She was the one who was incredibly rude to Newlin on at least two calls, and it was her unprofessional behavior that eventually spurred him to file a complaint with corporate headquarters. That complaint ruffled some feathers, which led to the emails and phone calls yesterday that cemented our group status and guaranteed us a discounted rate.

I have spoken with Jennifer at least once in the past, and while I don't remember a great deal about the conversation, I do recall that she seemed to be in a hurry to get me off the phone. At the time I chalked it up to her just being busy at the front desk, but at least two other PL members have specifically mentioned Jennifer's name when complaining to me about the Hotel, and both of those were more recent. Thus, I don't have a lot of faith in anything Jennifer says at this point.

I had a lengthy conversation with Kelly yesterday, and she seemed genuinely interested in making things right with our group. So I encourage you to contact her directly and see what sort of a rate SHE quotes you. Then I would mention that you spoke with Jennifer earlier and relay what she said about not being able to adjust the rate. Much as I hate to throw people under the bus, at this point there's no excuse for anyone to be giving us the cold shoulder.

Adam

Attachment 59015
    Quote Originally Posted by buffo View Post
    Please do me a favor: Call them back and ask to speak with Kelly, the general manager. If they ask why, just tell them that you're with the "SELEM Laser Group" and you have a few questions for the general manager and leave it at that. I want to see if Jennifer is telling the truth or not.

Jennifer is one of the known problematic employees. She was the one who was incredibly rude to Newlin on at least two calls, and it was her unprofessional behavior that eventually spurred him to file a complaint with corporate headquarters. That complaint ruffled some feathers, which led to the emails and phone calls yesterday that cemented our group status and guaranteed us a discounted rate.

I have spoken with Jennifer at least once in the past, and while I don't remember a great deal about the conversation, I do recall that she seemed to be in a hurry to get me off the phone. At the time I chalked it up to her just being busy at the front desk, but at least two other PL members have specifically mentioned Jennifer's name when complaining to me about the Hotel, and both of those were more recent. Thus, I don't have a lot of faith in anything Jennifer says at this point.

I had a lengthy conversation with Kelly yesterday, and she seemed genuinely interested in making things right with our group. So I encourage you to contact her directly and see what sort of a rate SHE quotes you. Then I would mention that you spoke with Jennifer earlier and relay what she said about not being able to adjust the rate. Much as I hate to throw people under the bus, at this point there's no excuse for anyone to be giving us the cold shoulder.

Adam
    Adam,
    Jennifer put me on hold to speak to Kelly about the rates. I was told Kelly said, through Jennifer, I was already getting the best rate (since I am a rewards member). The only thing they could do was offer me the weekly rate for Friday.
    See a screen shot from my reservation. Note this doesn't reflect the reduced rate for Friday.

Attachment 59014
    Attachment 59014
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot.jpg  

OUCH!

Those prices are higher than I expected. They are about equal to the base rates for the Elk Forge B&B that are posted on their website. (Single rooms start at $129 at the B&B.) When you figure in the discount that the B&B is giving us (20%), those rooms at the B&B are going to be cheaper than the ones at the Holiday Inn Express, even if you get the best discount through the Holiday Inn for being a Hilton Honors member.

Admittedly though, the B&B does not have a pancake robot...

Adam

This whole experience with HIE (especially their seeming inability to do better with a group rate) has certainly given me a lot to consider for next year.