Thread: RGB alignment

Default RGB alignment

Greetings, I have repaired a laser LASERKING LKPD3 that I sold to a client a few years ago there was a fault with 12volt power and it's now working however from wear and tear and continuous use the unit has gone out of alignment quite badly. What is the best way to align the lasers ? should I start with one specific colour and also how do you align the brass allan screws on dichroic mounts, I assume one for x and the other is for y positioning. I am familiar with doing convergence on old tv sets and realize this requires a bit of patience. Many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Photo0063.jpg  

Photo0060.jpg  

Yes, one screw is x and one is y. I start with the least adjustable but in your case it looks like they are all equally adjustable. I'd start at the back and get it well align on the galvos, then align the next one to that, and finally the last. It's a pretty easy and intuitive process once you start fiddling with it. Just don't blind yourself in the process. Turn down the powers.

When I adjust the alignment of my rgb lasers, I start with the one that shoots directly into the galvos, which is the green. I always use fog so I can see the beams. Once I have the green set, I can see the spots where it hits my high pass low reflect dichroic and the low pass high reflect dichroic. So I aim the red to the same spot on the dichroic and trim in the mount so the red beam hits the galvos at the same spot as the green and I look at the far field spot projected several feet away and line up all three points. I do the same for the blue. The only way to make multiple beams stay in alignment for any distance in front of the galvos is if they start at the same spot where they combine on the dichroic mirrors. So it's a 3 point alignment, on the dichroic, on the galvos and on the screen.

Last edited by james; 07-25-2022 at 20:41.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Thanks for all your replies. Managed to align it as best I could for a cheap unit. It's a bit like doing the alignment on old crt tv's ( I did my apprenticeship as a tv & radio technician) takes a bit of patience luckily it did have a built in test pattern which made things a bit easier. It's a ttl modulation unit so in future I will be more careful with my remaining eye.
    Cheers
    Bruce