Thread: Laser Furniture… An Art Project

Default Laser Furniture… An Art Project

Inspiration comes from unusual places. Wanted to post about a project I’m working on. It’s a little unusual, but I think the results will be pretty cool. I’m a metal fabricator by trade, and a laser fanatic as many of you are as well. I will be building a series of furniture art pieces using recycled lasers over the next year. Recently, i have gained a critical mass of worn out argon/krypton lasers, namely, Spectra Physics 171, and 270 power supplies. These retired workhorses will be up cycled into three couches. Without giving too much away, I will be using the entire pass bank boards from each 270 to create the seats and back rests. The rear of the couch will show the backsides of the passbanks and be completely enclosed with clear acrylic, all proteus pumps will be consolidated together for the arm rests, and of course will have UV fluid flowing through them.. The inside of the rear enclosure will be something like a giant computer case mod on steroids, will ultraviolet liquid tubes connecting the passbanks together, leds, and some line diode lasers positioned through out. It will also contain a 1000 watt Bluetooth sound system, because why not. The objective is to try to use all or most of the components from the recycled lasers, just reconfigured in a new creative fashion. I also have two Coherent Antares systems that I will be combining to make a ridiculous throne for the ‘laser king’ himself, whomever that might end up being. In any case, I have been blessed to have a large warehouse at my disposal to tear down these beasts properly. These furniture pieces will likely be quite heavy, but they will be some mean looking sum bitches. Additionally, if you have any old laser, junk laser systems, large, medium, or small unusable argons, pretty much anything, especially duplicate system that you would like to donate to this project please let me know. Within 500 miles of the Atlanta area would be best. Your name/donation will be laser etched on a solid brass placard that will be installed somewhere on the finished piece. I will update this post as time goes on and this art project gaines momentum. Let me know if any of y’all have any ideas or suggestions.

sure most of you would agree it’s hard to throw away your old lasers,

That sounds ambitious. Is this for a gallery show?
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    That sounds ambitious. Is this for a gallery show?
    Not for a gallery show. I’ve had a hard time letting go of older laser systems or taking them to be recycled. So rather then let them just pile up and sit a do nothing. This is going to be a way to honor their legacy and let it live on in some fashion. Especially the large frame gas lasers, which have been mostly retired and forgotten since the advent of the diode era. There will always been the need for couches, chairs and tables. The construction materials used on these older lasers was highest quality, large discreet components, majestic. The cost of casting or machining some of the parts had to be ridiculous.