Thread: Pluto 2 owners, ? on green

Default Pluto 2 owners, ? on green

Hi All, I picked up a pair of Pluto2's recently, want to start by saying I am very happy with the deal and noted this what I call issue before purchase. I am curious if the green laser on the pluto 2's always showed so much much scatter. I have one that is worse that the other because it is offset to all one side the other centered is barely notable on images. In the past I have built all my lasers and modules and have noted this behavior from not being centered on the lens or catching the edge of an optic, but I am curious if these units were better than what I have pictured new or if it was just how the green was built at the time. Basically do I crack open the module and try to adjust / fix it or leave it as is. I like things the best they can be but these units will be used as beam boxes so reality is it does not matter in the grand scheme.

I know a bunch of people have them, and only the greens show this scatter for me.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2404.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	59059Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	59060Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2401.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	59061Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	59062Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2398.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	59063Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2396.PNG 
Size:	2.69 MB 
ID:	59064
    leading in trailing technology

I don't remember seeing fringing like that on any of my Plutos. It's almost got to be contamination on the lens.

Here is a side-by-side shot of two Plutos:

On the left you have 463 nm blue and 520 nm green, and on the right you have 445 nm blue and 532 green. No fringing on either laser.

Worst case, if cleaning the lens doesn't help, you could try installing a pinhole mask (spacial filter) on the green right after the collimating lens. If I remember correctly, those units had almost a watt of green, so even if you lose 10% to the edges of the pinhole your color balance will still be OK.
    I'm thinking that a 3/16th inch diameter pinhole should be more than enough to completely eliminate any fringing.

Adam

It almost looks like stray reflection, to me. Not sure where it would be coming from though.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    It almost looks like stray reflection, to me. Not sure where it would be coming from though.

I pulled apart the module and it seems to be a diode lens issue not being centered on the diode with a short FL. It causes that smear coming off the diode itself before correction lens. I decide these are pretty much beam boxes and even on graphics after about 30 feet you do not see it, so for now just leaving it, I know i had something similar in builds years back and used pinhole filter to remove. it is noticeable only when close and on a bright reflective surface.
    leading in trailing technology