Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lumia

Very cool! Excellent find. I really like the patterns you show.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

You might try putting a positive lens between the dimpled sphere and the laser to focus the beam to be smaller entering the sphere. It might make things less busy.
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post
    You might try putting a positive lens between the dimpled sphere and the laser to focus the beam to be smaller entering the sphere. It might make things less busy.
    I'm curious how that would look with the lens on a linear servo rail so the focal point can change gradually. Did Laserium ever do that with any of their lumia effects?

Laserium used a microscope stage with a closed loop circuit driving the motor to match a pot on the control panel. The stage moved a incoherent fiber bundle that projected light through a 5 position turret.

Ion lasers had small enough beams that lenses were only used for the "burn wheel" and feeding the Lumia wheel that fed the fiber bundle.

I have an unfinished RGB panel that has a separate beam torquer galvo for each color and a separate focusing device for each color made up of a stationary lens and a stepper driven stage with a second lens. (Sometimes I get a little carried away...)
    "There are painters who transform the sun into a yellow spot, but there are others who, with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun." Pablo Picasso

I forgot to mention I was also playing with some cylindrical lenses I harvested from an old laser printer...
    The linear stages were salvaged from Zeiss confocal microscopes I assume they were removed as part of an upgrade. (They were sold as part of a package with a CT6200 scanner and a little scan amp.) The box with the three EM20's was made out of a square piece of extrusion. It may not be clear in the photo that the EM20's are on a plate that pivots on pins in the axis perpendicular to the galvo axis for initial alignment. The scanner can be offset to complete the alignment. The MM1's are also part of the alignment.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	carried away.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	92.5 KB 
ID:	59373

It was pre-pandemic and it's been sitting on a shelf.
    Last edited by laserist; 10-14-2022 at 12:27.

Name:	carried away detail.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	59374

another view - realize the beams only have to move +/- 1/2 inch or so at the effect wheel, or tube, whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by laserist View Post

Name:	carried away detail.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	115.2 KB 
ID:	59374

another view - realize the beams only have to move +/- 1/2 inch or so at the effect wheel, or tube, whatever...
    That is awesome! That kind of hardware is always amazing to look at. Is this your own design?

Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    That is awesome! That kind of hardware is always amazing to look at. Is this your own design?
    Yes it's my design.

I picked up an earlier version of this on ebay:

Name:	dm-2400.png 
Views:	39 
Size:	371.1 KB 
ID:	59376

It was busted up in transit a bit, but I tossed the original electronics and rebuilt it using Mach3 and 3 really sweet micro-stepping drivers. It's slow but accurate. Some day I'll replace the NEMA17 steppers with NEMA23's and gecko drivers, it needs more torque to run much faster reliably, but there are always limits. The newer version of the mill used a different type of "stepper" technology, (flat disk something or another...) but they dropped pulses when I tried them on my machine. Which is a major flaw in a stepper driven machine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dm-2400.jpg  

Last edited by laserist; 10-14-2022 at 12:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Displaser View Post
    With the mention of hobnail glass, I have found a similar effect with both clear glass and acrylic golf balls, as these are typically used as a bottle stopper.
    Very nice. You need to focus each one through the lens to create a large number of nice effects. I do it with lumia.

Default Old school Datronik

I managed to save the Datronik club projector. I'm looking for glass like in the photo, it's a beautiful effect. I don't want to take it off the projector and put it on another projector. Does anyone know about this glass, where I could get it.