Thread: My first beam show

Default My first beam show

Hey all,

Just thought I'd share the first beam show I've ever programmed. Used LaserShowGen, Helios DAC, Opt PD3000-RGB. It's an homage to the new album from The Midnight, "Heroes," which was released today. I was learning as I went. Thoughts welcome. Hope you enjoy!

Wow. Beautiful work.

Can't wait to see your 10th or 100th beam show.

Quote Originally Posted by HankLloydRight View Post
    Wow. Beautiful work.

Can't wait to see your 10th or 100th beam show.
    Thanks so much! Glad you enjoyed it.

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

If you have a good solid tune then the show builds itself (in your mind) as you are listening.

Nice Job! Looks great.... for a first time show it's phenominal.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    If you have a good solid tune then the show builds itself (in your mind) as you are listening.
    Well, not so much for this first go, as I was trying to figure out the rather eccentric and unintuitive nature of show creation using LaserShowGen, but now that I've got a handle on it, I think I'll be able to get more creative in future shows.

Also, this projector scares me a bit. It's only 3 Watts, but jeez in my basement, it's really damn bright. I hung a large black canvas tarp for beam termination, but the water resistant coating is quite reflective, so much so that if I shine a flashlight at it, the reflection hurts my eyes, so I'm kind of scared to even look at that. Also, running a test pattern while setting up my anodized aluminum tripod is unsettling. I ended up getting a pair of the NoIR RGB frames (190-534nm OD6+. 632-642nm 3.5+), and they make the beam completely invisible. I then use my phone to see the test pattern and move things around. I hide around the corner when running it. I'm being a bit overly cautious, but ya know, WARNING: Do not observe laser with remaining eye, and such.

I need to get a different tarp that is actually just regular canvas. I'll feel way more comfortable with that.

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Nice Job! Looks great.... for a first time show it's phenominal.
    Thanks so much! I'd actually like to enter the ILDA awards, perhaps not in '23, but maybe in '24. I'm working on 3 additional shows currently, just practicing.

Why not try a neutral density filter in front of your laser or just making a beam attenuation circuit with 3 potentiometers (one for each color?) to turn the brightness down? Or I think LaserShowGen has a "Color Range" adjustment in the settings you can turn the max. brightness down with.

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Why not try a neutral density filter in front of your laser or just making a beam attenuation circuit with 3 potentiometers (one for each color?) to turn the brightness down? Or I think LaserShowGen has a "Color Range" adjustment in the settings you can turn the max. brightness down with.
    Yeah, you can adjust the power/intensity in LaserShowGen, but I've found that the red, green and blue diodes do not attenuate linearly. Red is last to fully attenuate. It affects white balance if I turn it down too much.