Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: New format for laser shows - time to upgrade the show production

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    that's the problem.. when the key player in the industry sticks to proprietary formats.
    The OP was kind of in that general direction before it was edited.

Not sure how it's really a problem.

What's their incentive?
    Last edited by james; 10-12-2022 at 19:16.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    Ask me about my LaserBoy Correction Amp Kit for sale!
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by swamidog View Post
    that's the problem.. when the key player in the industry sticks to proprietary formats.
    That's how they make their money!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnYayas View Post
    There are a good number of EtherDream based applications on github. Some googling and you will find lots of samples in different languages. I can also probably help you. PM me with any questions you might have. I am sure others can help besides j4cbo if he is a blocker.
    Thanks! PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by dchammonds View Post
    That's how they make their money!
    I realize it's a long trip all the way around this thread and back, but there is some real irony here.

Creator of LaserBoy!
    LaserBoy is free and runs in Windows, MacOS and Linux (including Raspberry Pi!).
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials
    All software has a learning curve usually proportional to its capabilities and unique features. Pointing with a mouse is in no way easier than tapping a key.

Quote Originally Posted by james View Post
    I'm a software developer, not a consumer.

We are not the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by absolom7691 View Post
    That air up there must be thin. I imagine the view must be great when you look down on all the little people. The common people.
    Nobody is looking down their nose at anyone here. It's a simple fact that if you propose a file format, you have
    to sell it to developers first, then the developers have to go to work to employ the new functionality of the
    proposed format to benefit their patrons.

I know it's way beyond pointless, but just for the record, one of the reasons that I still find wave format useful for some
    things is the fact that there are a number of great audio editor/viewer/analyzer apps out there to include Audacity,
    and it's free.

I have written a couple of precision instrumentation apps that have nothing to do with lasers or sound that output
    data as raw wave, just so that I could capitalize on the advanced multi-channel data viewing and analysis options that a
    good audio app can provide. I'm a lazy SOB and I'm happy to hack something to suit my purpose in a way it was never
    designed for.

My quote is actually a spin on a quote from Breaking Bad, but that's beside the point. If taken correctly, it's quite accurate. Developers in laser display are quite rare and depending on our own personal goals, we have unique objectives.

What's really snotty is to assume you represent every other laserist in the world and your choice of software, hardware is good for everyone. Or even worse, to presume you know the first thing about my application, my motives or my satisfied customers.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

All this action I thought the OP came through and hit the jackpot LOL

Anyhow all I say is that in the 22 years I have owned an HD24 for WAV playback, studio mixing and later laser shows. It has never failed. I can not say I have gone more than a year with any* DAC and computer setup that has worked the first time everytime without needing intervention. I have used many and the only one that doesn't get enough use to include in the statement would be my cart based c64 system*, it has worked at boot each time. But the QM32, QM2000, FB3, RIYA, Etherdream, MABA, JLlaser, Wicked's LaserDock, phoienx system have all failed at one point in some way perhaps not due to the DAC itself. I have not owned laseregraph DSP. The HD24 push play watch show 100% (until i try it next now having not knocked on wood)

I also like the easy of playback and will capture ILDA shows to wav to just add them to the playback unit. Nothing better than just pressing play and sitting back to watch hours of content with no user intervention. I have slaved both LSX and Beyond to the HD24 to control other events via ADAT sync -> MTC to add and mix any other laser items scan glass etc into the mix.

Recently in the last 5 months I have moved to a 5 DAC FB3 setup as well here at home, there are benefits to more heads and assignments as I was limited to 3 with the HD24, also distributed scanning is really nice as I can skip and don't have the skills to pull points well but I can just throw 3 projectors at the image.
    leading in trailing technology

I wish there was a "like" button on this forum.
    Creator of LaserBoy!
    Download LaserBoy!
    YouTube Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Ditto, except my preferred configuration is 3 imaging projectors + a multi-port lumia projector.😎
    I'm using 3 FB3's and 1 QM2K driving 4 image projectors and then a DMX controlled multi-port lumia. All four image projectors are using DMX driven scan-glass. Right now, I have them limited to 4 effects per projector. My shows are timeline based but user manipulated using midi. I'm using an APC-40 for my midi board. Similar to you, I like having some hands-on control. It makes each show a little different.
    Last edited by absolom7691; 10-15-2022 at 08:47.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHermit View Post
    Yes, if I were still pro, my rig would be nearly the same as yours. But, now I'm low dollar, high quality (subject to availability) DIY.
    I hear you! It has taken me years to amass the hardware and software to get to where I am. Going low dollar is a necessity sometimes! High quality, that's the key and given your background, I have no doubt the quality of what you create will be top notch!

Your lumia projector looks great.
    Thank you! That, too, has taken a long time to get going. I eagerly look forward to seeing your completed system. Completed... when is anything ever complete among laserists????

"DMX driven scan-glass"🤔 Don't know what that is, but if you've got 'em, reckon I probably need a few. Would that be something similar to the liquid crystals that we used to fuzz the beam in 'Set the Controls to the Heart of the Sun', but now being used for 'safe' crowd (cat) scanning?
    Thanks for the edumication.
    😎
    Actually, just pieces of glass and effects that are moved into the beam path for each scan-head. I have a couple of pieces of fuzz glass, some lenticulars, diffraction gratings, star line filters, and fresnels. Mine are on servos though. They aren't very fast. I think Laserium and AVI projectors used pneumatics or strong solenoids to move the scan glass quickly in front of the image galvos.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, then you're in the wrong room.