Thread: GSi Scanner

Default GSi Scanner

Here's a picture of a scanner I took off of a Mobolazer. Does anyone know what I could possibly do with this device?

It arrived with nothing to control it. Anyone seen a setup like this before? The text on each galvo reads:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    GSi Lumonics
    Watertown, MA, 02472 USA
    Mfd. under one or more of the following patents:
    4694235, 5424632, 5225770, 5099386, 4694212, 3624574, 4135119, 4142144, 4090112 & foreign.
    Model Number: 000-GM20
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

I just ordered a DT-40 Pro setup, so I don't technically need it. I thought it would be cool though, if I could hook it up in tandem to do two scans at once..

Anyway help/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jonathan Rehm
    Platinum Graphics
    Last edited by platinum; 08-27-2007 at 21:04. Reason: Spelling

Does anyone know what I could possibly do with this device?
    Quite a few things actually. They work great on a beam table instead of using loud, clunky solenoids. They can also be used in a slow color box for a gas laser. Sort of a cheap SLOW method of color modulation using dichros. I've never seen them used for beam and I can't remember what their max angle is. Another thing they can be used for is a shutter. If you didn't get an amp for them, it is relatively easy to build, I may have a cheapo schematic laying around somewhere at home, but I'm out of town right now...

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    ...I may have a cheapo schematic laying around somewhere at home, but I'm out of town right now...

That sounds like a start. I haven't been able to find any info about them thus far. Thanks for the info!

-Jonathan

Just a note, they look like they are 2 GM-20's, lasefx.com has all the pinouts for the gm-20. I use an Logic Systems DMX0602A-DRV DMX decoder/driver board, to drive my GM 20s for beam table actuators.

Quote Originally Posted by Misebeam View Post
    Just a note, they look like they are 2 GM-20's, lasefx.com has all the pinouts for the gm-20. I use an Logic Systems DMX0602A-DRV DMX decoder/driver board, to drive my GM 20s for beam table actuators.
    Thanks for the info. That might work out right there.

Misebeam -

I was thinking about a similar driver arrangement for some GM-20's I have enroute to me. Which set of outputs seem to work best for this on the Logic Systems DMX0602A-DRV DMX decoder/driver board?

Thanks!
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

I use the first six channels for my actuators ( they are I guess also high current), channels 7-8 are PWM, so I use 7 for another GM-20 for beam routing, and Chan 8 for a variable speed Lumina motor. Works out nice. The first six channels also have test switches, so you do not have to supply a DMX signal to activate. this makes it nice and easy to test beam alignment. They all also have trim pots for travel distance. 8 total DMX channels, all runs on 24v single or double ended pwr supply.
    Last edited by Misebeam; 08-29-2007 at 14:18.