Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soforene says Hello

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Thumbs up Soforene says Hello

Hi Guys,
    As you all seem like a pretty decent bunch of guys I thought I'd pop my head above the parapet and say hello.
    Now all this talk of multi-watt lasers and Galvo's etc. is mind blowing to a Laser noob such as I.
    I started off by buying a 30 Mw laser (no sniggering at the back please) to play with and have since expanded my collection with my latest toy being a 100 Mw ILDA Green Laser.
    I was chuffed when I found this place as I usually hang out at The Blue Room but as they deal with general entertainment technical issues, their laser items can be a bit sparse.
    Not so here though where it's wall to wall lasers all day long !!

I'm looking forward to lurking and slowly improving my knowledge of all things "Lasery" but thanks to all present members for the wealth of info on here already.

I'm like a Pig in Poop !!

Welcome from another blue room member.

Hi and Welcome Soforene
    We don't all have multi-watt lasers, just some of the lucky ones do
    (and scanners too..)

Hi Soforene

Another UK member

West Midlands eh, I take it you'll be coming to the next UK meeting then

Cheers

Jem

soforene is offline The Troll formerly known as Herbert Von Poople-Futtocks

Oh aye !!
    I'm a bit gutted that I only just missed the last one.
    There's nothing quite like watching lasers in a live environment.
    Youtube and DVD's are all very well but the live experience can't be beat.

Interesting that everyone else isn't a mega Laser owner.
    From the general tone I've read so far, I assumed that most folks round here had several watts of Laser power at their fingertips and brains the size of planets.

Quote Originally Posted by soforene View Post
    From the general tone I've read so far, I assumed that most folks round here had several watts of Laser power at their fingertips and brains the size of planets.
    some of them do have really big smileys though.

Cool

HAHA! Priceless Wes!

Welcome, Soforene! Hope you like it here. We do have a few members that own some very large lasers, but a lot of us are just like you. We started out with smaller lasers and learned as we went along. Many of us have been in this hobby for over a decade and still don't own multi-watt lasers.

So rest assured that your 100 mw laser is nothing to be ashamed of. You can do some AMAZING effects with just 100 mw. All you need is a dark room and some fog and you're all set!

I look forward to hearing more about your unit... You say it's an ILDA green laser.?. I'm confused; is it a laser that is mounted in an ilda-wired projector, perhaps? (Pictures are always nice! )

Adam

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by wes View Post
    some of them do have really big smileys though.
    Was that meant for me...

Welcome man! I'm not sure the average mWs of our groupe but I think most of us have less than a watt, but not too far below.

I must say I take offence to the "poop" reference... I think that smell may be me... It is only a small hygine problem. Keep your pig out of my tub...
    Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Default New Uk Member

Ho So.... ( whats yer name ! )

"vwelcome to da pleasuredome !" yip this is a little lasery home and its pretty cool folks in here full of knowlwdge and sharing it ( im just so pleased they let me stay and watch ! :-)

Theres mixed kits in here and some who dont own lasers but just enjoy the techological banter ! , if theres some threads you dont understand , dont worry too much it goes over a lot of our heads but slowly and surely you will pick up the terms and plod away.

The UK contingent is overall pretty quiet in here at moment and many are having a rest , after the build to meet and the event people seem to have dispersed but they will be back ! and it wont be long before the next meet is around again! so hopefully you can make it.

Theres a lot of new folk geting into lasers ( myself included ) as traditionally the prices were such that only buisnesses could afford them or people who sweated blood in their shed at nights ......... the wonder of the chinese manufacturing revolution in cahoots with ebay means you can pick up kit to play experiment and build with soooooo much cheaper.

its not so long ago you would hve struggled to get ANY kind of laser software under £1000, even the cheapest galvos were £600+and a 50mW DPSS green was £500 + .....its still an expensive hobby partuculary if you want some quality parts but at least now the kits a lot brighter more relaible and better images for the same monies spent !

Anyways welcome , and hope you have fun !

PAUL
    In the beginning there was none. Then came the light - #1 UKLEM - 2007
    BUY UK LEGAL LASER POINTER :: NEW - Blue 460nm Laser Pointers

Hi So

and welcome

we dont all have large equipment, but theres no harm in bragging about it
    but we have seen stanwax ( robs ) equipment in the flesh and its very big and very long and when hes displaying it he has to pump water through it to keep it cool

all the best ... Karl