Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The RGB project officially begins...

DZ & Buffo -

Thanks for the info! Once again, you guys come through with quick answers to all my "newbie" questions!

Wes (and all other US taxpayers on this forum) -
    Thanks for your approval and investment in the Dept. of Defense budget - after all, it has been YOUR tax dollars from the last year that have made it possible to finance my venture into this money-draining hobby!

As Bartles & James used to say,
    "Thank you for your support"

When I DO finally get ready to start posting photos of the project, any recommendations on a good online photo-hosting site? Or is it best to just attach them directly to the message? Also, what size images seem to work best for viewing here?
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

DZ & Adam,

Let me add my thanks also from the "newbie club" to that great explanation and diagram.
    I am still a bit confused about just lifting the front of the laser to intersect the beam.... does the dichro "do" something that "fixes" it in terms of "plane" ??
    Also can I ask if we have a laser sitting up at the front or even adjusted level it is now partly or totally off of its heatsink would this not be a problem ??
    Anyway thanks once again you guys you always come through with some great info. I am sure Stuka and I will benefit from your kindness once again.

Cheers
    Ray
    NZ

Cool

My lasers are all mounted on floating tables that are above the main baseplate, so it's not a problem to lift or lower them. If you have your lasers all mounted to the same baseplate, then you need to machine custom shims to allow them to tilt - which is a real pain in the rear end... (lots of trial and error involved!)

If you really want the lasers to all be mounted to the same plate, and you don't want to make custom shims, then you can always add another mirror (on an adjustable mount) to bounce the beam to the dichro. With two bounces (one off the mirror, one off the dichro) you can correct for any misalignment even if you can't move the laser at all.

To answer your other question, the dichro only changes the angle of the reflected beam. The transmitted beam passes through unaffected. So as long as the beams intersect at the exact face of the dichro, you use the angle of the dichro face to "steer" the reflected beam so that it's now parallel and superimposed on the beam that passed through the dichro.

Adam

When I DO finally get ready to start posting photos of the project, any recommendations on a good online photo-hosting site? Or is it best to just attach them directly to the message? Also, what size images seem to work best for viewing here?

photobucket.com
    free and you can store tons and tons of photos.video too.it parses for different uses too.
    not sure on the size question but the pics i put up were pretty big and just went over a little.

Default Progress (sort of!)...

Home at last!

The dual-Maxyz are here, along with the FB3 mailed back from Kuwait, GM-20's, scanners, Poly-20, goggles, dichros, laser meter, and a few other parts. Still putting together an order list for Digikey, and have one more order enroute from One Stop Laser (thank-you for the Photon Lexicon discount!!) , along with my blue and green from Laser Show Parts.

Sweet! Laser-geek Christmas in October!!

A few more bags and footlockers to unpack, then HOPEFULLY I'll fire up the Maxyz sometime this weekend.

And yes - I plan to post pictures, once I can clear out a corner to unpack all the goodies!!

PS -

Dang, this got expensive!!!
    Last edited by Stuka; 10-18-2007 at 06:53.
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Welcome home !!!

Looks like your gunna be busy
    "My signature has been taken, so Insert another here"
    http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/laserfaq.htm
    *^_^* aka PhiloUHF

Cant wait to see some pictures of it. Goodluck... I am sure you will see why we are all so involved with it... it you haven't already!

Welcome home Stuka! I've been over "there" and know how good it feels to be back. pics when you can+++
    -Mike

Glad you got back safe man!!

Thanks for the warm welcome back, guys!

Well, I couldn't resist, so I cleared off a corner in the "junk room", and fired up the Maxyz -

Damn, those are bright - and they really will burn holes in stuff!!

My wife is now officially worried about my new hobby...

Pictures to follow, just as soon as I figure out where I packed my digital camera!
    RR

Sweet.....