Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The RGB project officially begins...

Default The RGB project officially begins...

Well, I have now officially "backed myself into a corner" on the RGB laser projector project! $$$!

I just became the proud purchaser of a dual-module red set from Marconi, and have some GM-20's enroute from Quazar, along with a Poly-20 wheel from Laser Visuals. Great "toys" standing by to get me started when I get home from my latest "adventure"!

Meanwhile, the Pangolin FB3 (sans lasers!) is getting a good "breaking in" on the laptop. LivePro is awesome - I can't wait until I actually get to use it with lasers!

Next up - a decent set of scanners, 100(+)mw of blue, 300(+) mw of green, breadboard, optics, case, DMX controller, hazer, etc., etc.

So much for the initial budget - it's a good thing I've been saving up all my "beer money" over the last several months!

RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Thumbs up

Heh, you have found pit to throw money into. Good luck man and remember...

Love, peace, and grease,

allthat... aka: aaron@pangolin

Next up - a decent set of scanners, 100(+)mw of blue, 300(+) mw of green, breadboard, optics, case, DMX controller, hazer, etc., etc.
    Ha! yep, complete money pit isn't it?! But it certainly is alot of fun, mixed in with alot of good folks here on the forum. I gotta say, I really like your avatar, does it represent something in particular?

David - I'm guessing that it's his unit insignia... Sort of like how Navy fighter squadrons will paint a funny graphic on the tails of their aircraft, or how airforce bombers in WWII painted elaborate nose art on their planes.

Ray, just a precaution: Remember to watch out for back-reflection with those Maxyz modules. You can even get some back-reflection from that poly-effects wheel under the right conditions. Might want to dial the power back until you're certain it will be safe.

Got any idea when you'll be back home? Sure would be great to sit down over a beer or two and see how your projector is coming along...

Adam

if it's a unit insignia,i think it has been modified.

the motto appears to be-

aim your lasers.

charge!

Good eyes, Wes! I couldn't read the text up top. (Though I guess I never really looked at it closely though.) Figures that I'd be stuck at work just now with a cheese-ass 17" monitor.

Edit: I just checked the file name, and it's titled "Air Cav Avitar"... So yeah, probably a unit insignia that was modified to be more relevent to PhotonLexicon!

Adam
    Last edited by buffo; 08-31-2007 at 18:16.

Yep, that avatar goes back a day or two!
    The original patch was designed by a fellow Cav aviator when I was flying with the 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment in the Fulda Gap (on the former border of East / West Germany) during the last few years of the Cold War. (Late 80's, early 90's) It "resurfaced" (modified) with my unit back home prior to my departure for this latest trip, and I modified it again for my avatar. It will probably be one of my first "TraceIT" projects to convert for laser projection!

By the way - the ORIGINAL caption for the patch reads:
    "AIR CAV - SUCK ME UNCONSCIOUS"
    Cool, but not politically correct in today's mixed-gender military!!

No pictures of the project yet - unless someone is interested in seeing a FB3 hooked up to a laptop, 'cause that's all I've got available to me right now! I'm slowly but surely gathering up the major components (hopefully they're waiting for me at the house when I get home!), and I plan on posting some "before...during...after" photos once I get started. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions to go with the online photos!

Buffo (Adam) and anyone else in the area - I should be home by mid-October, and will probably have a few weeks of downtime before I head back to my "normal" job. Hopefully, during that time I'll have the chance to roadtrip and take a look at some of the projects you fellows have worked on before I take the hammer & chisel to my first projector!

Beer will not be an option - after spending most of the last year in the desert, it's mandatory

Randy
    RR

Metrologic HeNe 3.3mw Modulated laser, 2 Radio Shack motors, and a broken mirror.
    Sweet.....

Cool

Mid-October, you say? Hmmm. Well, it might get you in a lot of trouble on the home front, going on a trip so soon after arriving home, but the Florida Laser Enthusiast's Meeting (version 1.5) is scheduled for Saturday, October 20th in Orlando, Florida... That's a hell of a trip from Knoxville though. (Roughly 10 hours by car!) But if you can manage a cheap flight, maybe you could make it... I'm sure you'd enjoy seeing the various projector designs that we'll have there.

If that's not an option, then perhaps we can set something up later on (in November, perhaps) that would be closer to your area.

Stay in touch as your return date approaches...

Adam

"AIR CAV - SUCK ME UNCONSCIOUS"
    Ha! Very cool! Good luck over there on you latest "adventure", I certainly hope that you and the rest of your crew return home safe. And many thanks from me and my family for your service. With regard to Adam's post, you simply must join us for FLEM. I'm sure we will have another fantastic event and learn plenty from each other. Heck, I'll even buy ya a beer!

Schedule permitting, I think a FLEM trip could be in my future!

I'm sure my wife will be less than enthusiastic about participating in another one of my "geek hobbies", but I'm sure I could find SOMETHING to keep her occupied in Orlando while I play with lasers!!

PS -
    FLEM 1.5 includes beer too, doesn't it?
    Last edited by Stuka; 09-02-2007 at 00:52. Reason: IMPORTANT AFTERTHOUGHT
    RR

Sweet.....