Thread: EtherDream 2 conundrum

Default EtherDream 2 conundrum

The last time I used my EtherDream DAC with LSX connecting via Ethernet it worked fine. Its been stored for a few years but I dug it out tonight and connected power to it and an Ethernet cable to my 10/100/1000 switch on my local network.

Updates to this post in parenthesis
    My DHCP server assigns the EtherDream's MAC address an IP address (actually I had an unused static IP address assigned to the EtherDream2 MAC address) but the Etherdream does not show in the DHCP client table (it appears in the static IP address assignments list, nor can I ping it. (the tale-tale clue).

One oddity is that the 3 LEDs next to the EtherDream's Ethernet jack light up top to bottom on power-up, blue, green, yellow but then quickly turn all blue. I don't recall that happening before. (right, it never did, the link and activity lights just started flashing once plugged into the Ethernet's local IP subnet. I plugged in another known good device using the same Enet cable into the same switch port and it worked fine)
    Also, another issue is the Ethernet switch port the EtherDream plugs into does not show a link light. (After much checking, this indicates to me the EtherDream device is dead)

I have notes on the EtherDream communication on specific TCP and UDP ports but don't recall that being a requirement when not traversing my firewall. (No Windows or router firewall settings prevent the normal TCP/UDP port communications from occuring.)

And LSX doesn't "find" the EtherDream with doing a DAC scan. (So, dead is dead, I do not recall how this happened but it obviously did somehow)

Any ideas would be helpful. (sorry, and in the words of Emily Litella - "never mind")

Thanks
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 12-23-2022 at 11:38.

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    The last time I used my EtherDream DAC with LSX connecting via Ethernet it worked fine. Its been stored for a few years but I dug it out tonight and connected power to it and an Ethernet cable to my 10/100/1000 switch on my local network.

Updates to this post in parenthesis
    My DHCP server assigns the EtherDream's MAC address an IP address (actually I had an unused static IP address assigned to the EtherDream2 MAC address) but the Etherdream does not show in the DHCP client table (it appears in the static IP address assignments list, nor can I ping it. (the tale-tale clue).

One oddity is that the 3 LEDs next to the EtherDream's Ethernet jack light up top to bottom on power-up, blue, green, yellow but then quickly turn all blue. I don't recall that happening before. (right, it never did, the link and activity lights just started flashing once plugged into the Ethernet's local IP subnet. I plugged in another known good device using the same Enet cable into the same switch port and it worked fine)
    Also, another issue is the Ethernet switch port the EtherDream plugs into does not show a link light. (After much checking, this indicates to me the EtherDream device is dead)

I have notes on the EtherDream communication on specific TCP and UDP ports but don't recall that being a requirement when not traversing my firewall. (No Windows or router firewall settings prevent the normal TCP/UDP port communications from occuring.)

And LSX doesn't "find" the EtherDream with doing a DAC scan. (So, dead is dead, I do not recall how this happened but it obviously did somehow)

Any ideas would be helpful. (sorry, and in the words of Emily Litella - "never mind")

Thanks
    So here are some things.

1) What does the EtherDream2 do if you don't plug it into the network and then power it up?
    2) Is there an SD card in the EtherDream? You can put a firmware update and IP address configuration / configuration file.
    3) There is an application called Sitter that can be used to test the EtherDream link. The EtherDream sends out UDP status packets. This is how Sitter and LSX detect it. They are broadcast (sent on the broadcast address of 255.255.255.255 I think). You can use WireShark to view the UDP packets ... they should be on port: 7654
    4) The EtherDream I think comes up as a Link Local / Zero Config address which should be a 169.254.something.something. I don't know if it supports DHCP. You may have to set the IP address to a static IP for your network. Check your static IP and your networks IP range / netmask. Maybe there is a misconfiguration there.
    5) The lack of flashing lights on either end might indicate that things are not working well as you stated. Maybe try an alternative power source?
    6) Did you give it a good wack? Sometimes that helps.
    7) Maybe try a different cable. Is the cable you tried a crossover cable? Some devices can switch between crossover and regular mode.

I hope something here helps.

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    So here are some things.

1) What does the EtherDream2 do if you don't plug it into the network and then power it up?
    2) Is there an SD card in the EtherDream? You can put a firmware update and IP address configuration / configuration file.
    3) There is an application called Sitter that can be used to test the EtherDream link. The EtherDream sends out UDP status packets. This is how Sitter and LSX detect it. They are broadcast (sent on the broadcast address of 255.255.255.255 I think). You can use WireShark to view the UDP packets ... they should be on port: 7654
    4) The EtherDream I think comes up as a Link Local / Zero Config address which should be a 169.254.something.something. I don't know if it supports DHCP. You may have to set the IP address to a static IP for your network. Check your static IP and your networks IP range / netmask. Maybe there is a misconfiguration there.
    5) The lack of flashing lights on either end might indicate that things are not working well as you stated. Maybe try an alternative power source?
    6) Did you give it a good wack? Sometimes that helps.
    7) Maybe try a different cable. Is the cable you tried a crossover cable? Some devices can switch between crossover and regular mode.

I hope something here helps.
    Thanks @cfavreau. Here answers to your questions and suggestions.

1. It does the same thing

2. There is no SD card in the EtherDream slot, and I don't find much "clear" documentation on doing the firmware update/IP config (although I know the name of the IP config file to put there).
    And I do not recall if I ever had a microSD card in the slot

3. Sitter does not find or recognize the EtherDream2 on the network. There are not Ethernet port link or activity lights on either end. Sitter used to see and read from the EtherDream and I have a screenshot of it's findings from 2018. As you can see the firmware version is R269-c55ec80. (I do have a later firmware version that I don't believe I installed that starts with R283 from Jan 2018 and I just download R331. See below the last Sitter results I have:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sitter-Ether Dream2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	59780

4. EtherDream was and had been successfully assigned a static IP address by my previous Cisco/Linksys router and therefore supports DHCP. Nothing has changed on my local IP subnet network in terms of network mask, IP sub-net, default router, etc.

5. The normal color LED link and Xmt/Rcv activity lights are only there for an instant when the EtherDream is powerd up, then they all turn solid BLUE. As a former network engineer I know what is a good network connection indication and what is not. The walwart is a 12vDC/600mA supply and tests good, and I've just tried a different supply at your suggestion and no difference. Thanks.

6. Yes, all bad things deserve a good wack! No response.

7. I tried several different CAT 5 and CAT 6 cables. The Ethernet switch auto detects for proper Xmt/Rcv pairs with the node and changes appropriately. I've tried both straight through and Xmt/Rcv cross-over CAT cables.

What I should also mention is that when connecting the EtherDream2 via a USB cable to my computer it never shows as an external drive, so there is no way to copy a new ed2.fw file to it.

What I find somewhat intriguing is that I can find no hint or mention whatsoever as to what it might mean for all the Ethernet activity lights to glow steadily ALL BLUE constantly!
    Last edited by lasermaster1977; 12-23-2022 at 14:12.

Any luck with further troubleshooting? I was thinking that maybe it is time to use a scope to figure out what is and isn't operating on the EtherDream board. Start with the power to the microcontroller and then the oscillator/clock. Check to see if it is alive and then go from there to see if the ILDA lines like the shutter are being actively driven. I think one of my EtherDreams is a ED2 so if you need any measurements to check against let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by cfavreau View Post
    Any luck with further troubleshooting? I was thinking that maybe it is time to use a scope to figure out what is and isn't operating on the EtherDream board. Start with the power to the microcontroller and then the oscillator/clock. Check to see if it is alive and then go from there to see if the ILDA lines like the shutter are being actively driven. I think one of my EtherDreams is a ED2 so if you need any measurements to check against let me know.
    Glad you have one as a reference. I'm out of town now, but will do some internal sleuthing next week. I'm pretty sure static electricity zapped it a few years back.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lasermaster1977 View Post
    Glad you have one as a reference. I'm out of town now, but will do some internal sleuthing next week. I'm pretty sure static electricity zapped it a few years back.

Thanks
    I've checked the key EtherDream2 board voltages at the input jack and at the pins of JP3 under the following conditions:
    1. External 12vdc source plugged in
    2. ILDA Interlock pins 4 and 17 jumpered, projector not connected
    3. with and without the Ethernet cable plugged in and terminated at other end into Ethernet switch
    4. on power-up, the Ethernet link LEDs light up steady-state, top-to-bottom blue, green, yellow for .5 sec or less then all turn blue, with or without Ethernet cable connected.
    5. RGB voltages on pins 5,6,7, 18, 19, 20 = 0v referenced to JP3 - Gnd, or between 5 & 18, 5 & 19, 7 & 20.
    6. XY voltages on pins 1, 14 & 2, 15 = 0v

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230106_145944-30s.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	183.6 KB 
ID:	59834

Supply Voltages
    +11.7v Input - ok
    +5.0v - ok
    +5.3v - ok
    -5.2v - ok
    +3.3v - ok